Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random possibly silly question about timing of listings

tag
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Random possibly silly question about timing of listings

Since I really haven't looked into buying homes until the last few months I'm curious....

Where I live (Pacific NW) we definitely have parts of the year where moving would suck thanks to the seasons. 

Are home listing prices cyclical at all?   For example, if a homebuyer knows people don't want to move in December would they list it cheaper then but list it higher in the spring/summer when more people are apt to be into moving?

I only thought of this because once when I gave my notice to a landlord in February he offered to take $50 off my rent each month if I stayed until April because he said it was easier to get rented in nicer months.

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Random possibly silly question about timing of listings

Like you said, it depends on your market.  I did some research on this myself and found that, on average, fewer people want to move during the Winter months.  Less new listings, and in turn those that are listed are easier to consider 'motivated' sellers.  It's really going to depend on the house, your market and the seller, but it's definitely worth keeping in mind.

Message 2 of 3
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Random possibly silly question about timing of listings

Where I live, that answer is definitely yes. Our home price was originally $352,900 but they dropped the price $5,000 during the winter as there are less buyers due to school and the cold weather...if you live in warmer climates, there may be more buyers year round. I closed on our home on 2/6.

It is harder to find the home you want during the summer where I live because there are more people looking and putting offers in at that time as many parents prefer to move after the school year ends so their child won't have an abrupt transition to the new school. I would say April is about the time that the volume of people looking ramps up in my state.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.