cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate Lock on New Construction

tag
jmini

Rate Lock on New Construction

Looking to start a new construction in a national builders community development.  Buiilder is saying it is taking 6-7 months from contract signing for completion.  Can I lock in my intrest rate now or do I have to wait until near completion of house

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: Rate Lock on New Construction

Short answer is ask your LO. .

In our case we got 2 pre-approvals. With NFCU they said they locked at no charge when we applied, but we are not using them. The bank we are going with offered locks at 150, 120 or 90 days out but there was a cost associated. I think it was 0.375% of loan amt for the 90 day one. BUT...if we held out to 60 days we could lock for free.

We are right at 90 days out right now and my LO emailed me saying we could lock at 3.25 right now. Not sure what we will do.

Message 2 of 6
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

you can lock at 3.25% now?  Is this 30 year fixed?  I'd be all over that rate!

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

A 60-day rate lock is most common in new construction.

Message 4 of 6
Warrior2000
Regular Contributor

How do you lock in rates? We are 4 months out, we just got a slab!
Message 5 of 6
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

You discuss this with your LO. They will tell you when you can lock.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.