Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate Shopping

tag
kleahc
New Contributor

Rate Shopping

What is a good number of lenders to check with? I did an online app to Quicken (honestly, mostly to find out whether a lender pulled score would be hih enough- thank all that is good in the world that it was!)and I have two appointments with local mortgage bankers coming up. I was also going to schedule a meeting with my bank's own loan officer, but I feel like 4 different applications may be overboard.

Has anyone experienced any downsides to rate shopping? At what point should I just pick one and call it quits?

ETA: Do I need to get all lender pulls done within 14 days? or 30? I have heard both... I will be pushing the 14th day limit if I go through with the 4th application at my bank.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Rate Shopping

Do you have an agreement on a property that you are purchasing? Rate shopping is good when you are ready to lock a rate. Until that time, all rate quotes are pretty much useless. Getting lender's closing costs and fees for typical transactions is a more useful exercise.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.