cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Fi and appraisal ?? What's my best move?

tag
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re-Fi and appraisal ?? What's my best move?

After looking all the documents over, it seems I am both geographically & financially eligible for the USDA Guaranteed loan.

BUT....I don't have much equity in my home, and it's hard to say what it would appraise for.  That being said, I certainly want to re-fi, it's just the "who" that will be the ??  

If I were to go ahead and hire an appraiser, since that is something I have to pay for anyway, how long is that appraisal good for?  I figured that if I got that done now, I'd know right up front what kind of #'s I'm dealing with & if the 102% loan from USDA is for me.

Thanks!!!  Smiley Happy

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Re-Fi and appraisal ?? What's my best move?

Anybody???  Smiley Sad

*Are there any stipulations regarding hiring my own prior to refi?  I want an appraisor familiar with "old" homes... like 90 yo homes.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally you don't get to choose or hire the appraiser.  It wold be a conflict of interest as you may be able to pressure them to list high.  The bank hires the appriaser and bills you for it.  Also, each bank would hire their own appraiser, so if you get on appraisal you could probably not "shop" other lenders with the same appraisal.
Message 3 of 4
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Boo....just my luck I'll get someone who only likes "new" houses.  Smiley Mad
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.