Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-fi to Conventional?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-fi to Conventional?

I'll try and keep this short and sweet.  The mortgage for our house is in my wife's name.  5.25% FHA.  Refinancing to another FHA doesn't make sense because of the increase in insurance since she closed on our house 4 years ago.  My wife can't refi on her own (too much debt in her name and not enough income).  I make most of the money but I have a bankruptcy that will be 4 years old in October.  I believe 4 years is the minimum waiting period to go conventional after bankruptcy.

Question is: If I'm added to the loan would it be considered a re-fi, or would it be considered a completely new loan?  Does it matter?  Also, we don't have the money for what is typically required to be "put down" on a conventional, but we have about 100K in equity on our home.  Could that be considered a "down payment"?  Is there anyway to get into a conventional by using equity as a down payment?

I appreciate your help.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Re-fi to Conventional?

You cannot be added to a loan, only to title. A refi is a completely new loan as well.

Do you both want to be on the new loan?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

She has the better credit, but I have the income.  If I could get my credit up, going it alone might be option for me, but she wouldn't qualify on her own because she doesn't make enough money anymore.

I though with her credit and my income that'd give us our best chance at qualifying.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

She has the better credit, but I have the income.  If I could get my credit up, going it alone might be option for me, but she wouldn't qualify on her own because she doesn't make enough money anymore.

I though with her credit and my income that'd give us our best chance at qualifying.

If you use your income, you would have to use your credit as well.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.