Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-financing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-financing

Wanted to ask if I should re-finance my auto loan and insurance before or after I close my mortgage.  My ex is refinancing the house in his name only.  My scores are currently mid-high 700's and I want to get the best rates possible.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Re-financing

@Anonymous wrote:

Wanted to ask if I should re-finance my auto loan and insurance before or after I close my mortgage.  My ex is refinancing the house in his name only.  My scores are currently mid-high 700's and I want to get the best rates possible.

Are you closing on your own mortgage - a different one from your ex?  Or by "close my mortgage" do you mean that it's going to paid off because your ex is refinancing the home in his name alone?

If the latter, then it probably doesn't matter when you refinance your auto.  Your ex's credit won't be affected by this move.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

He is putting it all in his name.  Thanks for the info!

Message 3 of 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

The only reason I can think of to wait until after the house refi is complete is if your DTI ratio with the mortgage would make auto lenders balk at your application.  That is, if the mortgage payment is high vis-a-vis your income, then the lenders might think that you're at higher risk for lending.  You might either get denied, or perhaps not get the most favorable interest rates.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.