Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Nervous. Any advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really Nervous. Any advice?

Just graduated college in May. I now have a very stable job working as a teacher/coach. Income is 55K. I really want to look into buying a home next summer. I've been living at home and by January will have all debt other than student loans paid off. My scores are as follows: 682, 640, 698. They really took a hit when I had a medical collection post but I recently paid it and it is being deleted. So here's my question:

Do I have a realistic shot of getting a house? My scores should go up and I can save about 10-15K for the down payment. Any advice on what I should be doing to get ready for such a big financial move? I should be able to save extra money during the summer when I find an extra job. How early should I meet with the bank? Would I be wasting my time? People remind me that i'm only 23 but I feel that if I wait til i'm "ready"...i'll never be.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Really Nervous. Any advice?

You should try to find a house prior to the end of the 7500 tax credit so you can take advantage of it.  I believe that would mean closing before the end of June.  Search the site for more info on the tax credit if you are unaware of it.

Also, generally, late spring and summer are the most expensive time and busiest time for house hunting/buying and prices will always fluctuate upwards (in regards to other times of the year) during these times. 

Your scores are fine for FHA, the only issue would be DTI and for that we would need to know what price point you are looking at and what taxes, etc would be...Also, how much is your student loan payment.

Anyways, with FHA you only need 3.5% down and waiting a few month to get extra money down may not be best if that means you pay a couple thousand more for the home as well due to summer market conditions verses winter/early spring.  Also, you could take the tax cresit next year and apply it to your mortgage, your student loans, home renovations, or whatever. 

Message 2 of 3
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Re: Really Nervous. Any advice?

They also have special programs for teachers, but not sure what they are, or how/where to apply.

ONLY being 23 should not be a big concern. If you are mature enough to handle the financial commitment, then age has no bearing on buying a house.  Good Luck!

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.