Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realtors commison

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Realtors commison

Who has been successful in negotiating a cheaper commission %?  We have been quoted 6% of they are helping to sell our house.  One man we had looked with quoted 5% if he was in on both selling and purchasing a home with us.  We have been looking with someone else and are getting close to selling. She has quoted 6%, going to try for 5% because its cutting it close to even allowing us to move and doing what we want to.  Only different is we are looking into buying a lot and building and the builders will not let her get commision.  How low can we ask thats reasonable.

THanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Realtors commison

A great realtor typically won't discount their commission. A great realtor will also likely be able to sell your home for more than 1% higher compared to a discount realtor. I would choose to pay up for a top quality agent, as you will likely make your 1% back plus a lot more once you factor in the likelihood that they will sell your home for more, be an asset in negotiations during escrow, etc.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

6% is common and is split between a few people but right away it is split between buyers agent and sellers agent which is the only reason the one agent offered you 5% if he got both commissions.

You want a great agent not the cheapest but in general this is standard commission and may even be regulated to some extent by the national association of realtors. Take a look.
Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Actually commissions are not regulated at all. It is a free market negotiation between the listing agent/office and the seller.

dpeezy got it right when he said that you don't want a discount broker.  The agents that are most likely to discount their commission are usually either new or not going to give you very good results. The discount that the listing agent mentioned (1% if s/he is both the listing and the selling agent) is the exception to the rule. 

Most experienced agents will get you a higher dollar for your home and will recognize what offers are worthwhile and which are worthless (yes, we get offers all the time by buyers that can't close).  

If you are tight for funds, you want the best realtor to be on your side. Not the discount broker.

The way the fees are split is usually:  

• Listing Broker
  • Listing Agent
  • Selling Broker
  • Selling Agent
  • Sometimes there are referral fees on either the listing side or the selling side

If you have a smaller percentage being offered to the selling agents through the MLS it will affect the number of showings you receive.  Ask your agent to explain this concept. It really happens. You can negotiate a very small commission, but then virtually no one would show it except for the sharks that will low ball you. I saw a commission in the MLS a few months for where the seller offered the selling agent a very small fee on the order of, but less than, $10  (yes, you read that right).  Guess what kind of showings that seller got?  We know of course that what the seller is saying.  They are saying they don't want the house shown by others.  

Edit: Quick (real) story: I sold a home to my buyer and the listing agent was a discount broker - believe it or not the broker had the property priced under market value by about $25k.  So yes, the seller saved 1% on the commission but lost $25k of proceeds because their Realtor was uninformed and not involved in the negotiations at all. That was a very expensive lesson to the seller.  You don't want to be that seller and I see it (mispriced properties) all the time. 

Offering a realistic market rate is one of your marketing tools. Your Realtor will have other tools to sell your home too.

Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Actually commissions are not regulated at all. It is a free market negotiation between the listing agent/office and the seller.

dpeezy got it right when he said that you don't want a discount broker.  The agents that are most likely to discount their commission are usually either new or not going to give you very good results. The discount that the listing agent mentioned (1% if s/he is both the listing and the selling agent) is the exception to the rule. 

Most experienced agents will get you a higher dollar for your home and will recognize what offers are worthwhile and which are worthless (yes, we get offers all the time by buyers that can't close).  

If you are tight for funds, you want the best realtor to be on your side. Not the discount broker.

The way the fees are split is usually:  

• Listing Broker
  • Listing Agent
  • Selling Broker
  • Selling Agent
  • Sometimes there are referral fees on either the listing side or the selling side

If you have a smaller percentage being offered to the selling agents through the MLS it will affect the number of showings you receive.  Ask your agent to explain this concept. It really happens. You can negotiate a very small commission, but then virtually no one would show it except for the sharks that will low ball you. I saw a commission in the MLS a few months for where the seller offered the selling agent a very small fee on the order of, but less than, $10  (yes, you read that right).  Guess what kind of showings that seller got?  We know of course that what the seller is saying.  They are saying they don't want the house shown by others.  

Edit: Quick (real) story: I sold a home to my buyer and the listing agent was a discount broker - believe it or not the broker had the property priced under market value by about $25k.  So yes, the seller saved 1% on the commission but lost $25k of proceeds because their Realtor was uninformed and not involved in the negotiations at all. That was a very expensive lesson to the seller.  You don't want to be that seller and I see it (mispriced properties) all the time. 

Offering a realistic market rate is one of your marketing tools. Your Realtor will have other tools to sell your home too.

S10,

Curiosity question but what are some of the positives and red flags you look for in an offer if it's not super sekret? Smiley Happy

I sorta know what should be there and can read a credit report and asset declaration with the best of them, but didn't seem like there was that much to it when I was going through the buyer side of the transaction other than proof of buyer non-suckedness?

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.