Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason to get VA loan with 20% down

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reason to get VA loan with 20% down

I am relocating to a different state and just went under contract on the house I am currently living in. My current mortgage is a VA and I was able to take advantage of getting into it with $0 down. When my house closes I will end up paying off the VA loan and having a good amount of equity to put into a down payment on my next home.

Since I will have a 20% down payment to get into a house is there a reason I would still want to go VA? Even with a standard mortgage I will not have PMI. For what it is worth my fico is currently about 700.

Mike

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Reason to get VA loan with 20% down

@Anonymous wrote:

I am relocating to a different state and just went under contract on the house I am currently living in. My current mortgage is a VA and I was able to take advantage of getting into it with $0 down. When my house closes I will end up paying off the VA loan and having a good amount of equity to put into a down payment on my next home.

Since I will have a 20% down payment to get into a house is there a reason I would still want to go VA? Even with a standard mortgage I will not have PMI. For what it is worth my fico is currently about 700.

Mike

The only way to answer that question in a meaningful way is to have a loan officer provide comparisions using different products ... and let the numbers guide you. You would have a funding fee with a VA mortgage but PMI with an FHA and maybe a higher mortgage rate with a conventional mortgage product. Only after seeing all details for each solution can you truly make an informed decision. By the way, yours is a good "problem" to have.

Message 2 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

some believe that over time, that 20% invested in the market will reap more MUCH more benefit than the paltry interest 'saved' by using it for a down payment

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

some believe that over time, that 20% invested in the market will reap more MUCH more benefit than the paltry interest 'saved' by using it for a down payment

I would be one of those people Smiley Very Happy!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.