cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a copy of our appraisal....I've got a question before I confront my LO

tag
IamMrsJones

Received a copy of our appraisal....I've got a question before I confront my LO

Of course, the appraisal is full of real estate mumbo jumbo that means something to someone, but it basically means it's an intact house worth more than we're buying it for. Great. BUT....

On one of the last pages, it mentioned that his fee for the appraisal was $315. We had to pay Wells Fargo $485. What happens to the other $170? We didn't get a chance to shop and pick out an appraiser. We were told this is the cost and bring us a check (which we did). Where does the extra money go and am I entitled to it back?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: Received a copy of our appraisal....I've got a question before I confront my LO

@IamMrsJones wrote:

Of course, the appraisal is full of real estate mumbo jumbo that means something to someone, but it basically means it's an intact house worth more than we're buying it for. Great. BUT....

On one of the last pages, it mentioned that his fee for the appraisal was $315. We had to pay Wells Fargo $485. What happens to the other $170? We didn't get a chance to shop and pick out an appraiser. We were told this is the cost and bring us a check (which we did). Where does the extra money go and am I entitled to it back?

Lenders are not supposed to markup third-party services, and Wells is being sued over allegations like this one.

I would bring the discrepancy to the attention of your LO and demand that the excess be applied to closing.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 9
jadeite788
Established Contributor

Re: Received a copy of our appraisal....I've got a question before I confront my LO

+1  good looking out.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 9
Bella143
Established Member

I work in the mortgage business. Since the laws changed a few years back, all appraisal orders have to go through what's called an AMC (Appraisal Management Co.) The remainder fee of what you paid goes to the AMC. It is totally legit and every lender/brokerage has to do this.

EX 722
EQ Fako 723
TU Fako 724 -
Discover 755
Cap 1 - 747
Message 4 of 9
IamMrsJones

Thank you. Bella, I emailed my LO for an explanation and that is what she said to me.

Message 5 of 9
Elcid89
Contributor

@Bella143 wrote:

I work in the mortgage business. Since the laws changed a few years back, all appraisal orders have to go through what's called an AMC (Appraisal Management Co.) The remainder fee of what you paid goes to the AMC. It is totally legit and every lender/brokerage has to do this.

The assertion that is being made against Wells is that the AMC is an owned subsidiary, so in the end Wells is making a profit on the markup.

Personally, it's unethical at the very least.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 6 of 9
rbizzle
Contributor

I've worked for an Appraisal Management Company for the past 2 years and for 8 years prior to that i worked for an appraisal company, but for there to be $170 fee to the AMC is crazy!  Our fees are 1/2 that!

Message 7 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@IamMrsJones wrote:

Lenders are not supposed to markup third-party services, and Wells is being sued over allegations like this one.

I would bring the discrepancy to the attention of your LO and demand that the excess be applied to closing.

it is not marked up

i bet the difference is the appraisal management co fee

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Bella143 wrote:

The assertion that is being made against Wells is that the AMC is an owned subsidiary, so in the end Wells is making a profit on the markup.

Personally, it's unethical at the very least.

actually it is quite ethical and perfectly legal.

maybe their fees are high..... but for the lender to OWN the amc? that is awesome. the lender can fire appraisers who suck.

from time to time my company orders from a large national amc when we have no appraisers in the area of the property.... we have way more problems with them than we do with our inhouse amc

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.