cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently paid items - low scores - Do I have a chance for FHA or other?

tag
buskels
Valued Member

Recently paid items - low scores - Do I have a chance for FHA or other?

I want to be able to purchase a home when my lease is up at the end of the year and wish to find out if I have a shot - preferably FHA. I was talking informally with a mortgage person but she seems to have vanished in the last 2 weeks and I think she may no longer be with the company. I have a little time and am trying to prepare - if I even have a shot.

Credit is fairly bad - was struggling for years and some bad things happened. In 2006 the company I was with for 7 1/2 years downsized, income was limited for a few months and I got further behind. That worked out well in the end - they had me doing contract work part time for them (less than 2 weeks after being let go). I had a full-time contract job elsewhere for a year and did them part time. I went back to them in February 2008 full time as a "casual employee". No benefits but double the pay and I can show 9+ years of continuous employment with them - did I mention I had previously been underpaid? During the few months I was working part time, many items got real bad.

I have the free credit reports from each company and went to TrueCredit. Those scores (I know, not accurate) are TU-641, EX-625, EX-617. The went up since 6/1 from 599, 581, 616. Credit must have been getting a little better because 2 credit cards gave little increases without even asking. Earlier this year, I almost took a loan to help someone (stupid idea) and was approved for $3500. I did not take it however.

Everything is paid except for 1 dispute and 3 medical. The dispute is a duplicate - it was transferred to another CA in 9/2007 with the other deleted after payment. The medical were incurred when my ex-husband had an accident and my son had to ride in ambulance to be checked out. He did not give them my insurance info at the time and I didn't even find out about the charges for a few years. The mortgage lady I was talking to said I may not have to pay the medical for an FHA. She was going to check on it since the one is over $3000.

Everything bad went bad over a year ago, no lates for at least the last year. I did pay most of these very recently (before I found any credit boards) and did not negotiate any PFD's. I'm hoping that didn't really mess things up.

I have about $8000 saved right now, will have about $13,000-15,000 saved by the time lease is up. I can get another $15,000 out of 401K (I am willing to accept the penalties to get a house). 2 grandchildren live with me and they need a yard. I am looking at about $100-$150 range and make about $70,000 a year now.

Below is my current situation.

Housing: Lease apartment, no lates for at least 6 years.
4 Credit Cards - All Opened 2001 - Never Late. Total Limit: $2125
1 Gas Card - Opened $2004 - Never Late. Total Limit $1000
1 Credit Card - Opened 1999. (1) 30-day late (2005). Limit $600
Total Utilization on these 0-20% total. Nothing over 20%.

Auto Loan - Opened: 05/2005; (1) 30-day late (12/2006); owe app $12000
Auto Loan - Date Opened: 02/2002, Date Closed: 04/2007; (5) 30-day lates (last late 3/2007) - Paid Off: 4/2007 in 61 months.

Real Bad Stuff - All Paid
AMEX - Date Opened: 11/2004, Date Closed: 01/2007; Paid off: 6/2008 (still shows owing $1800 on CR but will go away soon). Went 120 days+ late

COLLECTION CO OF AMERICA (Sprint) - Date Closed: 07/2006, Assigned to Collection: 9/2007; Paid off: 6/2008

FIRST PREMIER - Date Closed: 05/2006; (4)30-day lates, (4)60-day lates, (3)90-day lates); Paid off: 2/2008

CREDITONEBNK - Date Closed: 03/2006 (2) 60-day lates, (2) 30-day lates; Paid Off: 3/2008

CMI (Adelphia) - Date Closed: 02/2003; Paid off: 5/2003 (goofed up accidentally here)

GA POWER - Date Closed: 9/2006; Paid 6/2008 (This was a goof-up after a move - only found out about when I got report)

Unpaid Medical Collections
Medical #1 - Date placed for collection: 04/2003; $3,249
Medical #2 - Date placed for collection: 05/2003; $227
Medical #3 - Date placed for collection: 04/2003; $532

Disputing as duplicate - RIDDLE - Date placed for collection: 05/2006; $172

6 inquiries total for last 2 years on reports.

I probably gave too much detail but am really hoping someone can look at this and see whether I have a shot or not. Hopefully FHA, hopefully little down. I don't want to pursue something if it is just a waste of time right now.

Any thoughts or advice? Thank you in advance.

Stephanie

Starting Score: 689 (Feb 2013)
Current Score: 743
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recently paid items - low scores - Do I have a chance for FHA or other?

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but just so you know, I was all excited when I found this forum on 7/1 cause my TC scores were in the high 500-low600s. When I pulled here, my scores were 60 or so points lower. Just be prepared for that.

Also, I'm sure you've seen the NACA posts around here. Go there and see if they're in your city/state. They seem legit so far and they might be able to get you an even better deal. Then again, I know you'll get other responses in here. Good luck!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, check to see if you qualify for a Rural home Loan, I just got approved for 100 % financing with them and they look past medical collections... I know Bank of America does Rural home loans .. all my socores were in the low 600's  good luck !!
Message 3 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

buskels wrote:

I probably gave too much detail but am really hoping someone can look at this and see whether I have a shot or not. Hopefully FHA, hopefully little down. I don't want to pursue something if it is just a waste of time right now.

Any thoughts or advice? Thank you in advance.

Stephanie

well.... you can NEVER give too much data.

something didnt add up.... you said that you had recent problems(lots of data, something about 2008 but the credit details showed nothing late recently?)...  if the last 12 months is clean, then fha wont be much of a problem if debt ratios are in line.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 5
buskels
Valued Member

Thanks for the advice. I haven't had any lates in the last year and nothing added. But, I did just pay everything off and was hoping that that wouldn't hurt in some way.

Starting Score: 689 (Feb 2013)
Current Score: 743
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.