Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations on FHA Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recommendations on FHA Loan

Me and my wife want to buy her moms house with a FHA Loan.  The appraised value is $102,000 and she will sell it to us for $75.000.  With a FHA loan we can use the house equity of the appraisel as a down payment, with the gift equity option that FHA loans offer. So the lender will only be issuing the mortgage for just under 75% of the value.

I have a equifax fico of 618, a TU score of 625 and 628 at experian.

Have been on my job for two years, have pay stubs and tax info for that.  And have not been late on any CC payment on both of my cards.

I only make $26,000 a year, but have only $2500 in debt on my credit report.

Wife has scores from 600 to 617.  with no late payments reported.  She makes about the same amount and has been on the same job three years.

Does anybody have any recommendations for what route to take for a mortgage, what companies? i know we are close at that 620 mark, but we will have a lot of equity in the house and does that make a difference.

I dont want to have to apply to several mortgage places and getting alot of hard inquiries. 

I was thinking about Wells Fargo, Quicken Loans, and a local credit union.  Anybody have experience with scores around ours.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recommendations on FHA Loan

Since it's mom's house, can you guys just sit tight until you get those scores up a couple notches? With the figures you gave, may I ask why low 600s? Anyway, if there are relatively easy ways to get up to 640 I sure would do it.

Then use this calculator. Just read the simple instructions. It will tell you much.

http://www.mortgage-info.com/mortgage-calculators/debt-to-income-ratio-calculator.aspx

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

We want to get it now, because it was orginally her Grandmas, Grandma died and her mom took over the deed and put the mortgage in her name so that the house would stay in the family, so now her mom pays two mortgages and she wants us to buy it asap, because she cant afford the two payments.

Message 3 of 18
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I don't think you can use the equity in your mother's home to apply toward your down payment (at least in my 30 plus years of experience with FHA loans and real estate).

The minimum down payment requirement is 3.5% of the purchase price. You are allowed to use either your own funds OR gift funds, but not borrowed funds.  (Be careful, the site link above has old information on FHA loans from 2009 and previous so get your info from a mortgage banker instead).

The appraiser will appraise the house for current market value and the lender will use as your maximum loan amount either the appraised value or the contract price, whichever is lower.

Don't use Quicken Loans they are very, very uneven in their approval process. Their business model includes phone reps that are not familiar with underwriting so you end up blowing $500 to $700 on the appraisal and end up with no deal in many instances because they will tell you things that underwriters won't accept (like using your Mother's equity for your purchase).

Wells Fargo is moving to the same model: phone reps to take the app and no experienced loan officers.

Not too many credit unions do FHA. They generally do conventional loans only.

Get with an experienced mortgage banker in your area. You will need to get references to good mortgage bankers either through local Realtors or friends and family that have recently purchased (not refi'ed) through a local mortgage banker. They also sell your loan, but after the deal is funded usually so you have nothing to worry about. They also have many programs with which to underwrite you and are more familiar with government loans (FHA/VA).

The difference between a mortgage banker and a mortgage broker is huge: the mortgage banker funds the loan and has an underwriter that can give you a decision based on their criteria. When you get an approval from a mortgage banker, you know the deal will close because you have been underwritten by the actual lender.  

A mortgage broker never funds the loan; they just sell the deal to a lender that will fund with your requirements. However, generally when the broker is shopping he is shopping his commission, not your deal. In my 30 yrs experience with hundreds and hundreds of FHA loans, the only time I've had difficulty is when a mortgage broker (that has no funding capacity) gets involved. They promise more than they can deliver. However, having said the above, there are some mortgage brokers that are worth their weight in gold. They know what they are doing - but it is increasingly rare, especially in this market. They are not trained as well, have no onsite  underwriters and in general don't have the resources that mortgage bankers have for you.  Be very, very careful when dealing with a mortgage broker.

Your loan officer is key to having a smooth purchase and funding of that purchase. Don't under estimate the importance of the loan officer.

Message 4 of 18
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Based on your most recent post: have a title company check the title. You might be in for a longer wait than you think if the deed wasn't transferred properly or if your Grandmother's estate didn't go through probate. Do this first before you start down the mortgage pathway.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

She is gifting us the equity. I thought the FHA loan will let you use a gift of equitity from the seller if its a family member.

http://www.fhaloanpros.com/2011/02/buying-from-a-relative-the-gift-of-equity/

Also are you a mortgage lender? what company? I am in Michigan.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

also we already have a current appraisal $102,000.

Message 7 of 18
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

No, I'm not a mortgage lender, I'm a Realtor that works with mortgage lenders every day (since 1979). There are a few very good lenders on this site that may have a referral database for someone in your area.

Dallas or Shane really know what they are doing and Namvet was/is in the business too. Maybe you want to PM them to see who they can recommend in your area.

As to the gift of equity, I'm in South Fl and the last few years equity has been rare.

If you have the required 15% + equity according to the appraisal and the other criteria then it is worth trying. The key is the appraisal and in our area FHA appraisals always come in lower than recent comps indicate. Of course, our market is still considered a declining market and that will affect appraisal value. 

Ultimately you need to check the title first with a real estate attorney or title company to make sure its clear; then check the appraised value to see if your deal will work.

Message 8 of 18
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

There are various types of appraisals.  There are appraisals for purchases; for refi's; for estate valuations etc....What type is your appraisal and how recent is it?

If its from the lender that will fund you, then you are golden. If its for something else, check to see if the lender will accept the appraisal or require another one.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all your help.

It was a refinance appraisal from a local credit union, it was from last fall.  The same credit union said they can do a FHA loan with a 620 credit score for the $75,000 on a 30year fixed at 3.9%

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.