Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi Finalized - my Quicken Loans review

tag
dazacman30
Valued Member

Refi Finalized - my Quicken Loans review

Hello all!  

I thought I would share my experience with Quicken Loans, having just closed a week ago.  

My wife and I decided to do some major remodeling on a home we owned out right with no mortgage.  I kept seeing ads for quicken loans, but hadn't done much research.. one day while browsing around last month, I decided to chat online and ask a few questions.. I chatted with a knowledgable rep that answered my questions and made me feel comfortable, so I pulled the trigger and gave my info for pre-qualification.  I was instantly "pre-approved" based on my info and the credit pulls.  Background info: went through bankruptcy and abandoned previous home in 2009 so had to go FHA, with a 45 day lock on the rate.  I am an SCorp owner and my income has increase significantly toward the end of last year; but of course we had to use the last 2 years of returns rather than current income.

The first few days everything went quickly.. I was requested to submit lots of information, which I provided within minutes of the request.  Within 24 hours I had a conditional approval.  Two days later my appraisal was scheduled and we finished up sending a few other requests.  Our appraiser came within 7 days of initial application.  Then everything went quiet for about 5 days... and that drove me crazy, going from so much information and daily contact...to almost nothingness. 

Finally around day 12-14 our appraisal came in and to our delight, was much higher than we needed.  Now, just to wait for our final approval and clear to close..  Around day 17, our status changed to "Solutions consultant"  UGH!  We had an issue with my wife's student loan because it was on IBR so the full amount of the payment would need to be utilized which would impact our DTI.  We re-did the IBR with the lenders and provided updated statements within about 3 days.  Back through underwriting and silence for about another 7 days.  All was looking good again, then again..back to Solutions department.  Now, it was that because the IBR was less then what the interest payment would be, it could not be counted and therefore they had to use the full amount of what the payment would be.

This seemed to be our last hurdle..dealing with the student loans to get our DTI where it needed to be.  We didn't owe much debt aside from 2 cars, the student loans and a few installment lines.  There was just enough wiggle room in DTI by adding all of the installment lines to take care of the DTI.  So, finally we put them into the deal, back through underwriting..and finally on day 35 - final approval!!  Closing was scheduled for day 40 and we were funded on day 45 Smiley Happy

All in all, I would say the experience was pretty easy.  I enjoyed doing most everything via chat/email/online, with minimal phone interaction.  The consultants that I spoke with throughout the process were all very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.  With the exception of a few periods of not activity, the process did flow pretty smoothly.  I originally thought we would close early, but in the end we closed right on time.  Funds were wired into my account on the promised date.

Bouncing back from BK '09
10/2012: 641(EQ) 636(TU) 624(EX)
4/2015: Equifax 694, TU 687, Exp 706
Goal: 700+ all 3 by June 2015
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: Refi Finalized - my Quicken Loans review

Interesting...I'm just learning in depth about credit and scores - had no idea one could be in the mid 600's only 3 years after a BK? I always here how it's 7 years of hell.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 2 of 9
coldmornings

Glad you had a great experience with Quicken. I wish I had a single positive thing to say about them, but I cannot.

As far as scores after BK, I just signed a customer up yesterday on a car that had a bankruptcy about 2.5 years ago and she is now a 740. It can happen, but it heavily depends on chapter 7 vs chapter 13 ( I work in auto finance )

Message 3 of 9
Amexit

@dazacman30 wrote:

Hello all!  

I thought I would share my experience with Quicken Loans, having just closed a week ago.  

My wife and I decided to do some major remodeling on a home we owned out right with no mortgage.  I kept seeing ads for quicken loans, but hadn't done much research.. one day while browsing around last month, I decided to chat online and ask a few questions.. I chatted with a knowledgable rep that answered my questions and made me feel comfortable, so I pulled the trigger and gave my info for pre-qualification.  I was instantly "pre-approved" based on my info and the credit pulls.  Background info: went through bankruptcy and abandoned previous home in 2009 so had to go FHA, with a 45 day lock on the rate.  I am an SCorp owner and my income has increase significantly toward the end of last year; but of course we had to use the last 2 years of returns rather than current income.

The first few days everything went quickly.. I was requested to submit lots of information, which I provided within minutes of the request.  Within 24 hours I had a conditional approval.  Two days later my appraisal was scheduled and we finished up sending a few other requests.  Our appraiser came within 7 days of initial application.  Then everything went quiet for about 5 days... and that drove me crazy, going from so much information and daily contact...to almost nothingness. 

Finally around day 12-14 our appraisal came in and to our delight, was much higher than we needed.  Now, just to wait for our final approval and clear to close..  Around day 17, our status changed to "Solutions consultant"  UGH!  We had an issue with my wife's student loan because it was on IBR so the full amount of the payment would need to be utilized which would impact our DTI.  We re-did the IBR with the lenders and provided updated statements within about 3 days.  Back through underwriting and silence for about another 7 days.  All was looking good again, then again..back to Solutions department.  Now, it was that because the IBR was less then what the interest payment would be, it could not be counted and therefore they had to use the full amount of what the payment would be.

This seemed to be our last hurdle..dealing with the student loans to get our DTI where it needed to be.  We didn't owe much debt aside from 2 cars, the student loans and a few installment lines.  There was just enough wiggle room in DTI by adding all of the installment lines to take care of the DTI.  So, finally we put them into the deal, back through underwriting..and finally on day 35 - final approval!!  Closing was scheduled for day 40 and we were funded on day 45 Smiley Happy

All in all, I would say the experience was pretty easy.  I enjoyed doing most everything via chat/email/online, with minimal phone interaction.  The consultants that I spoke with throughout the process were all very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.  With the exception of a few periods of not activity, the process did flow pretty smoothly.  I originally thought we would close early, but in the end we closed right on time.  Funds were wired into my account on the promised date.

Congrats and thanks for writing the informative post!  I'm trying to decide between quicken and my CU for home refi.  

FICO's 07/07/2014 EQ 725 EX 727 TU 724
Message 4 of 9
dazacman30
Valued Member

@tufa4311 wrote:

Interesting...I'm just learning in depth about credit and scores - had no idea one could be in the mid 600's only 3 years after a BK? I always here how it's 7 years of hell.

I was low 600s not too long ago.. got all my CC debt down which helped utilization heavily, and have not had a single issue since..  we're actually about 4 1/2 years post bankruptcy at this point but I think we'll be in the 700s in no time.. i think a mortgage on the report will help get us to that level adding it into our mix of accounts.  

My wife has had an easier time than I.. she got credit cards pretty quickly, for a few years I couldn't get a thing, but finally it all started getting back to normal.  In fact, I just applied for a USAirways mastercard two days ago (after being deined 6 months and 12 months ago) and got an instant 5K limit.

Message 5 of 9
dazacman30
Valued Member

@coldmornings wrote:

Glad you had a great experience with Quicken. I wish I had a single positive thing to say about them, but I cannot.

As far as scores after BK, I just signed a customer up yesterday on a car that had a bankruptcy about 2.5 years ago and she is now a 740. It can happen, but it heavily depends on chapter 7 vs chapter 13 ( I work in auto finance )

I didn't start reading all of the reviews on them til after i pulled the trigger, and it sure made me nervous for a while.. I was glad to get through with a positive experience Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
dazacman30
Valued Member

@Amexit wrote:

Congrats and thanks for writing the informative post!  I'm trying to decide between quicken and my CU for home refi.  

Good luck!  We have a local CU we work with, just went a different route on this one.. I would definitely consider doing a refi with the CU next time around to keep business local.  Quicken was just a breeze for me this go around not having to leave the house at all really..everything was uploaded online, and the closing agent (notary) came to the house.

Message 7 of 9
MaddMatter70
New Contributor

We did a chapter 7 discharged May 2nd 2012.  Scores are 715-701-696. Was not easy but can be done.

Starting Score: EQ608 TU531 EX568
Current Score: EQ694 TU697 EX710
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i hear that they are better than they used to be.

but realtors still cringe at the thought of working with them.

45 days is a long time. most are at 21

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.