Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi OK with late payment?

tag
salsa34
New Contributor

Refi OK with late payment?

I just locked yesterday on a 30-yr fixed conventional refi.  Going from 5% down to 3.625%.  Got home, opened latest mortgage statement that just arrived in the mail and my April payment arrived one day late and I've been assessed a late fee.  

Is this late payment going to derail the whole refi?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Re: Refi OK with late payment?

One day late from due date or one date late in next month?

My payment is due on the 5th and I am assessed a late fee after the 15th.  10 days after payment is due. 

Big difference.   As long as it posted before the end of the month so you don't have a 30 day late reported on your credit report you should be ok.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 2 of 6
salsa34
New Contributor

Payment due April 1, late assessed April 16.  I believe payment was received on April 17.

Message 3 of 6
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Are you refin with the same company that holds your mortgage now?  If not, I don't think anyone will even notice it was a day late but still within the 30 day time frame.

CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
Message 4 of 6
salsa34
New Contributor

It is a new lender, but I am fairly certain that I'll need to submit recent mortgage statements as part of the due diligence for UW, so it does show that I incurred a late fee - kicking myself for trusting my online banking to get it there under the wire and not just driving over to Wells Fargo to pay it in person!  

Thanks for your reply!

Message 5 of 6
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

@salsa34 wrote:

It is a new lender, but I am fairly certain that I'll need to submit recent mortgage statements as part of the due diligence for UW, so it does show that I incurred a late fee - kicking myself for trusting my online banking to get it there under the wire and not just driving over to Wells Fargo to pay it in person!  

Thanks for your reply!

Wells Fargo!!!  My home is with them.  I am moving it away and doing everything I can so it does not get back to them.  They love to access late fees!  Regardless of when I sent it I always always always got a late fee.  For the past 6 years I take CASH to the branch and pay it.  Found a little loop whole law that states if it is paid in cash they have to apply it that day.  If I mailed it on the 1st it posted on the 16, if I mailed it on the 10 it posted on the 16th.  I coudn't win.  Cash and in person only.  (However they did get me once when I took after their 2:00 cut off for the day!)  Now I always pay 4 days early.  It lines up with my payday that way.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.