Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi after BK - FHA or HARP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refi after BK - FHA or HARP

Can anyone help with the guidelines regarding these 2 types?  We will be 2 years out of BK on 12/31/09 - our current mtg is with WF, who is no help, as I keep getting different answers.  I was told I could refinance through HARP, regardless of how long ago we were discharged; now I'm being told it has to be 4 years from discharge.  For FHA, I was told we could start the process now, but it can't close until 2 years from our discharge date - now another rep is telling me, we can't even start the process until after 12/31.  Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Refi after BK - FHA or HARP

For FHA you just have to be 2-years since discharge on a Ch 7, some lenders won't let you apply until that date but then more flexible lenders can start it up but will just wait until it's 2 years old in order to do the closing.  HARP (Freddie Mac Open Access & Fannie Mae Refi Plus) follow the normal Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac BK guidelines, which is 4 years if it was to do financial mismanagement or 2 years if due to extenuating circumstances.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.