Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi fail

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Refi fail

Well, sunnybeach.  Now what?

DW and I purchased a home short sale in November of 2013.  Gobs of equity at close.

We spent quite a bit (on plastic) rehabbing the house with the intent of refinancing in January of 2015.

Option #1 failed....cannot refinance conventional due to low credit scores caused by high CC debt.  No negative information on any reports, just LOTS of CC debt.

Option #2 failed....changed to an FHA refi due to higher DTI allowance, but appraisal came in much, MUCH lower than expected.

Now what?

We owe $112k on a home that just appraised at $155k.  (Appraiser sucked, should be closer to $200k)

Credit scores in the low 600s.

Credit union won't write a 2nd mortgage due to DTI.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Refi fail

Can you get a consolidation installment loan and pay off your cc cards?

That should help your scores and possibly DTI.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 18
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
Can you get a consolidation installment loan and pay off your cc cards?

That should help your scores and possibly DTI.

I don't think so....see updated scores in signature.

I'm kind of stuck in the "pay down your debt, then you can borrow against the equity you have in your home to pay down your debt" trap.

Message 3 of 18
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Oh, Ok. Im on my phone and can't see your signature.

Tcbo, I know you are credit savvy. Are you able to consolidate some of your cards so that you can show zero balance on some of them?
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 4 of 18
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Ummmm.  Not really, no.  I've got some zero balances, I've got some maxed out, and many, many inbetween.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the cc debt on both of ur names dw and dh?

do u need both dw and dh income qualify for refi?

there r options i can think of but u need to provide more ino so we can get creative.......

Message 6 of 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@tcbofade wrote:

Ummmm.  Not really, no.  I've got some zero balances, I've got some maxed out, and many, many inbetween.

Moving the maxed out cards down below 90% of their CL may give you the boost you need, the ding for this (maxed cards) can be substantial.

Message 7 of 18
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Can you check with the cc companies for the cards with zero balance and ask if a 0% offer is available. If so, take the balances from interest bearing cards and transfer to 0% interest cards....at the very least it will save you on paying interest.

If your balances are as substantial as it appears from your post, the monthly interest paid is probably very high.

Have you tried getting a private note from a private investor?

Sorry....I can't think of anything else.

Message 8 of 18
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

DW and I purchased a home short sale in November of 2013.  Gobs of equity at close.

We spent quite a bit (on plastic) rehabbing the house with the intent of refinancing in January of 2015.

Option #1 failed....cannot refinance conventional due to low credit scores caused by high CC debt.  No negative information on any reports, just LOTS of CC debt. you should be able to get score up to 620 easily for the minimum required score for conv

Option #2 failed....changed to an FHA refi due to higher DTI allowance, but appraisal came in much, MUCH lower than expected.

Now what?

We owe $112k on a home that just appraised at $155k.  (Appraiser sucked, should be closer to $200k)   112/155 =  72% ltv. which is awesome

are you trying to do cash out?

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 18
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Option #1 failed....cannot refinance conventional due to low credit scores caused by high CC debt.  No negative information on any reports, just LOTS of CC debt. you should be able to get score up to 620 easily for the minimum required score for conv

Now what?

We owe $112k on a home that just appraised at $155k.  (Appraiser sucked, should be closer to $200k)   112/155 =  72% ltv. which is awesome

are you trying to do cash out?

Yes, that is the whole point.  We are trying to pull cash out to pay off at least some of the CC debt.

She COULD simply refi the existing note into a higher rate, but that doesn't make any sense.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.