cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi with my VA loan?

tag
Workmanp

Refi with my VA loan?

So my wife had purchased our house about a year ago, with a local bank. Unfortunately my credit was in bad shape.  Im currently in the process of fixing my credit.  Paid off all my debts, no derogatory accounts are listed on my account, and by the time we are ready to refinance I should have a good 2 years of clean and healthy credit history.  My question is this, I know that the VA Loan company does NOT look at FICO or Credit Scores.  They instead look at account history for the past 12 months.  Can I refinance with a VA Loan if the house was not purchased on a VA Loan?  Also, can my spouse co sign on with me on my va loan to get a higher limit and lower interest rate?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Re: Refi with my VA loan?

Every lender you run into will take your credit score into account. The minimum is a mid score of 620 with 12 months of clean history on ALL accounts listed on your credit report. And yes, you can refi a non VA loan into a VA loan.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.