Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refiance question

tag
fliphusker
Contributor

Refiance question

I am hoping to refinance later this year for 2 reasons.  My current interest rate is 7% and to get cash out to finish big remodeling projects on the fixer upper I currently live in.  I recived a free fico score a few months back while my credit debt was fairly high, for me that is.  Will post some things on my situation

2 years after refinance plan on putting my house on the market.

Rebuilt my credit from 480 to 720

Screwed up my credit by canceling a credit card and a dispute over a collection. 4 years ago

Checked my fico score few months back and was 660.

1750 credit line on 2 cards.  One is 2 years old while the other is 8 months old

One has a zero balance, other 800.  (working to zero it out before refinance.

My discover card shows my fico at 638, extremely disappointed.

Here is my big question.  Recieved a credit card pre approved for 1k limit from Merrick, (legit, did my homework) and after 7 months of min payments my credit line will double to 2k.  Should I go for it to gain more available credit?  Have never asked either of my current credit cards to up my limits, should I do so?

Worked really hard to get my credit to where it is/was, sigh, and just do not want to mess things up as I did in the past.  appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
edcampbell613
Contributor

Re: Refiance question

You should be fine. Use it, dont max it, keep it below 50% - 30% max at anytime, and pay it off as soon as you can.

Message 2 of 4
fliphusker
Contributor

Should have said the only time I plan on using it is to double the credit limi and pay it off monthly, with no balance. 

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@fliphusker wrote:

Should have said the only time I plan on using it is to double the credit limi and pay it off monthly, with no balance. 

If you're six months out from the refi go ahead and take it, but as you're trending towards zero anyway on your reported balances it won't help that much in the short-term.

If less than six months, I'd skip it from a pure FICO maximization perspective as you already have 2 cards, a third is a minor benefit but one that needs longer time periods (like 6-12 months) to realize.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.