Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance issues - so frustrated!

tag
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

Refinance issues - so frustrated!

Hi all,

I posted around a year ago about the PenFed 5/5 arm.  They still offer it, with closing costs paid and I still really would like to do it.  The rates are down to 3-3.25% - our current 30 year rate is 5.5% so it would take more than 10 years before we got back to our rate with the arm!

However, they turned us down last time because we didn't have 2 years of employment history with the same group and we didn't have 3 years of projected continued employment with the same group.  Well duh - we're graduate students!

So I talked with my family and my father agreed to co-sign for the income (we have great scores - above 750 across the board for both, good UTI - 30/70 estimated, etc - just not income history).  However, I called them today to discuss it and they won't allow a cosigner for income unless they live in the house!!  

So that's out and I'm upset. Smiley Sad

Anyone have advice about a no-closing cost that less than 4.5% that would accept graduate student income history or a co-signer who doesn't live in the same house (or even the same state)??

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Refinance issues - so frustrated!

FHA is the only loan that I know of that will allow a non-occupant co-borrower.

Message 2 of 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I am sorry that the requirement is a deal breaker for you!   Sounds like the rates are great.

Message 3 of 5
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

Starting - thanks for the heads up, but we don't have any PMI right now and don't want any, so I think that's out? Plus, I don't know if that's got the same deal - no Closing Costs AND a low rate...

Anyone else come across anything?

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Peach8321 wrote:

Starting - thanks for the heads up, but we don't have any PMI right now and don't want any, so I think that's out? Plus, I don't know if that's got the same deal - no Closing Costs AND a low rate...

Anyone else come across anything?

The mortgage insurance doesn't kick in if you have <80% LTV on your mortgage loan is my understanding of things, for either conventional or FHA (they just title it differently).

As for closing costs, that's typically a lender thing to my knowledge.  The FHA portion just applies to the insurance of the loan, you're not taking a loan from the government so it's no different than any other.  Penfed may even offer an FHA loan.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.