Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance my ARM with 780 FICO.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinance my ARM with 780 FICO.

Hello all,

I have an 5 years ARM which by the end of 2009 the rate will adjust.  I have an excellent credit.  I would like to refinance but, do not have anything for down payment.  I have about $17000 equity in the house.  My loan amount is $448000.  Can I get a lower rate loan?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Refinance my ARM with 780 FICO.

You have a little over 3% equity in your home.  Unless the rules have changed recently, you should be able to qualify for an FHA loan.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know what rate your ARM will reset to?  It could well be lower than your current rate, given the trends in interest rates over the past year. 

Not to say you shouldn't refi and lock in a favorable fixed rate, but the urgency that an ARM reset may usually entail might not be as pronounced, given the current interest rate levels.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all experts for the replies.  I am sort of leaning towards wait to see when my loan adjust maybe I can get a lower rate.  I am not planning on staying in this house more that 2 or 3 years max.  What is the chances of me getting another ARM with lower rate.
Message 4 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you all experts for the replies.  I am sort of leaning towards wait to see when my loan adjust maybe I can get a lower rate.  I am not planning on staying in this house more that 2 or 3 years max.  What is the chances of me getting another ARM with lower rate.

Since you haven't told us what your interest rate is, it's kinda sorta impossible to tell you whether your rate would be lower after refinancing.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Also, if you're only going to be in this home for a couple more years, then you might not recoup the closing costs that go along with a refinance.

What are the index, margin, and limits of your current loan?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very sorry guys/gals,

The interest rate is 5.125 increased 1% every year (I think).

Message 7 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Based on current wholesale rates, theoretically you could get a new 5/1 ARM with a lower rate. However, this will depend on a number of factors, such as where you are located, points, etc.

You should pull out your loan documents that spell out the terms of your ARM. It is never as simple as "1% every year". There is going to be an "index", such as the 1-year LIBOR, upon which the new rate will be based. There will be a "margin", a percentage added to the index that will represent the new interest rate. There is are "limits", which indicate the maximum amount that your interest rate can change at 1) the first adjustment; 2) each subsequent adjustment after the first; and 3) the highest and lowest interest rate that can apply to your loan, regardless of market conditions.

Don't forget the closing costs. You could get a no-closing-cost loan, but this will come at the expense of a higher interest rate. You could pay points to get the rate lower, but if you are going to sell in a couple years, you might not recover this cost.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replies.  I will look at the papers and, see what it says.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.