Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance or Not

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinance or Not

I bought a condo over 4 years and I have a 5 years ARM mortgage that will expire soon (August). My current interest rate is 4.25% I am curious to know whether I should refinance to a fixed rate mortgage or just take my chance and let my current Mortgage adjusts. My plan is to keep my condo until the market really picks up and I get a good deal to sell it. Any recommendation?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refinance or Not

Depends on your rates. I think rates are actually lower now than they were 4 years ago. You may find that you can refinance to a 7/1 adjustable, giving yourself another 7 years of security, but at a lower rate. IF you go that route, you should run the numbers so that you can pay it off after 25 years, rather than 30. You could also just keep making your current payment under the new rate (assuming that it is lower). Remember that when you refinance, you adjust the interest/principal curve back to the beginning. Additionally, refinancing has a new set of closing costs, which can be up to 3% of your loan's value. 

Good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.