cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance through existing lender? Opinions please...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinance through existing lender? Opinions please...

We're talking about refinancing to get a better interest rate (bought our current house about 4.5 years ago); I was wondering if anyone had had any luck in negotiating with their current mortgage holders rather than going the full refi route?  I'd prefer to avoid the significant refi costs since I'm working towards an early payoff on the notes which makes the fees more of a concern.

My ideal would be to simply negotiate a lower rate with the existing holders - I'd be quite happy with a point over what we could get with the "best market offer" if it meant not paying any one-time fees.  Is this common?  Possible?  Rare?  Anyone have any advice on how to approach the banks (Wells Fargo and CitiMortgage)?  Better to wait until the smaller (2nd) one is paid off (about 18 months from now)?

I haven't been able to find information about this in the forums - if its already been answered, please point me towards that thread instead.  And thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Refinance through existing lender? Opinions please...

If your loan amount is high enough (usually $175k+) You could refinance with your existing lender (or a new lender) and instead of paying closing costs and getting the prevailing low interest rate for what you qualify for, you'd take an interest rate usually .25-.375% higher and the mortgage lender will pay for most if not all of your closing costs.

When you are refinancing and have a 2nd mortgage which you are not paying off, you need to subordinate the 2nd mortgage, meaning ask permission for it to remain in 2nd position after the new mortgage is made.  Essentially the 2nd mortgage is underwritten again, requiring an appraisal, underwriting approval for the new 1st mortgage refinance, etc.  Costs an additional $200-300 and depending on the 2nd mortgage lender adds anywhere from 2-6 weeks to the refinance process (if your 2nd is Citi, it takes about 3 weeks), as these days subordination departments have a high volume of work for the amount of staff.

Unless you are able to refinance, you could try to negotiate with your current lender but they'd likely refer you to their refinance department.  If you don't have much equity, which could make refinancing difficult, then negotiation/modifying your existing loan may be your only option.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Refinance through existing lender? Opinions please...

My experience with trying to refi with an existing lender would have been a big rip-off.   I went to a local CU, got better rates, under 1k closing cost and no PMI.  My existing lender (National City/PNC) at the time would have charged 4.5k, PMI and a rate that was higher than the local CU.  Best to shop around first to see if you can get a better rate or deal.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.