Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinance

I have been in the process of rebuiding my credit, slow process and although I have had alot of items deleted, my score hasn't changed. I want to refinance my home mortgage, but have been told the minimum score required is 660. Is there any where to refi with a lower score? I have plenty of equity in my home and live in the los angeles area.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Refinance

It goes by the lender.  Some may require lower scores, some may even be higher.  If you belong to a local CU, you might ask them what their qualifcations are.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I think you can go conventional with a 620 if you have 20 percent equity.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rubyk,

As far as credit scores alone, you can find quite a few lenders out there that can lend to scores less than 660.  Generally more options are available once you're above 620.  Contact some lenders in your area and see what their basic criteria are for different programs that are available.  To be of good service to you, talk to them about your situation and your goals so you can accomplish what you're looking to do

Message 4 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Hi RubyK!  Welcome to the MyFico Forum!

If your mortgage is backed by fannie mae or freddie mac, or is an FHA or VA loan, then you may be able to do a streamlined refinance.  If not, talk to your current lender about what options are available to you. It would be a good idea to shop options from several lenders before settling on one. Some lenders like to load you up with fees.  To compare fees, you need to compare the Good Faith Estimates from several lenders.

Below is a link that may help you understand the Good Faith Estimates:

Good Faith Estimates Explained - ShanetheMortgageMan

Definately feel free to post any questions you have about the process on here. Best of Luck to you!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.