Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing Car to Meet DTI Requirement

tag
agekeith22
Valued Member

Refinancing Car to Meet DTI Requirement

For the mortgage that I am seeking I am a tad over the 43% DTI, but I can meet the 43% requirement if I refinance my car note (reducing my monthly car payment by $150).

My question is, should I refinance before seeking pre approval, or should I just wait and let the LO advise on this?  Also, could I get pre approved for a larger mortgage contingent on refinancing my car note?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Refinancing Car to Meet DTI Requirement

@agekeith22 wrote:

For the mortgage that I am seeking I am a tad over the 43% DTI, but I can meet the 43% requirement if I refinance my car note (reducing my monthly car payment by $150).

My question is, should I refinance before seeking pre approval, or should I just wait and let the LO advise on this?  Also, could I get pre approved for a larger mortgage contingent on refinancing my car note?

Tough call...  the refi would cost you an inquiry, which may hurt you. 

More important is your payment amount.  Are you really going to be comfortable paying that high a mortgage payment with all of your other bills?  

Message 2 of 4
agekeith22
Valued Member

A little background:

credit scores- all in 750 range, will be reducing my utilization to 3% which should push them a little higher

Salary is $130k per year

debt- $400 car payment (refinancing would lower it to $250)

child support- $900 per month ( will end January 2017)

I plan to build a new house with a closing date of April 2015 so I will start pre approval process in July 2014.  So, trying to make a strategic plan right now.  I do feel comfortable at 43% since I have a good amount in cash savings, $50k, and will be able to save an additional $900 per month once the child support ends.  Not to mention, standard 3% raises every year.  I also have healthy 401k and stock options.

I just want to get my family into our forever home, good neighborhood and school district before my young kids start school, so I am willing to reshuffle my debt a bit to do it.

Message 3 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

this likely wont be a problem..... i would do the refi sooner than later.... rates are only going up.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.