cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing Three-year-old HELOC: Good idea? Bad idea?

tag
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Refinancing Three-year-old HELOC: Good idea? Bad idea?

Exactly three years ago tomorrow (3/31/2014), I opened a HELOC for my 100+ year old home. There is no other mortgage or lien against the property.

At the time I opened it, I had tons of negatives on my credit report, primarily due to defaulted studen loans that I had rehabbed, but the lates were all still showing on my reports. My scores were in the 623 - 663 range, I believe. My home needed serious work -- and by 'serious work', I mean the kitchen was essentially non-functional and nasty, etc. -- and with home sales in the dumper here at the time, I had a hard time finding a place that would place a useful valuation on the place so that I could get a loan to fix it up.

PNC Bank to the rescue. They used some mystical formula and valued my home at what I thought was more than fair, and even with my credit scores, managed to offer me an interest rate of 3.79%. Their HELOC product has a ten year draw period, followed by a 30 year payoff period. They offered me a line of credit that was well above the 80% point of the valuation, but I only took 80%. I spent nearly every penny of the line of credit to make much needed improvements here (it was SO worth it), and since that time I have paid it down about 10%. In other words, my balance is 90% of the original line of credit. They have been great to deal with the past three years. 

So here's the situation: With my higher scores and better financial situation, I believe I can refinance at 3.24%. I should be able to get a higher valuation for the property (home sales are MUCH better here now, plus I have added a fabulous kitchen, new garage, doubled my lot size and put up a privacy fence since the initial HELOC), which will give me more breathing room (and probably allow me to fix the one remaining horror-spot: the bathroom). It would also have the added benefit of restarting the clock on the 10 yr draw/30 yr repayment clock.

There are no fees for doing a refinance. It will cost me nothing.

My question: Am I missing something fundamental here? Am I overlooking something basic that would make this a bad idea? 

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Re: Refinancing Three-year-old HELOC: Good idea? Bad idea?

Well, I just found out today that they're offering me 2.99%. That's Prime minus .26%. Not too shabby.

Message 2 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Compare the margin and the index too.

Message 3 of 7
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure what that means. Can you elaborate? Thanks!

Message 4 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

All adjustable rate loans have an index to which they are tied in order to make the adjustments. The margin is how much is added to the index to make the rate you are charged. It is common for the initial rate to be much lower than what it would be after adjustment in the first period.

Here is a more detailed explanation by bankrate so you can see how margin and index work together: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/adjustable-rate-mortgage-indexes-explained-1.aspx

What is your current Index? 

The most common index is 12-month Treasury average (MTA or MAT) indexes; also common are: 11th District Cost of Funds Index (COFI) index, and LIBOR (London Interbank Offered Rate)

What is your current margin? This is a percentage that is added to the index.

Now what is the index and margin on the new loan?

Then compare. Some indexes are better than others.

Message 5 of 7
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Well there ya go! I learned some valuable terminology!

My current index/margin is Prime + 0.54%

The new index/margin is Prime - 0.26

I'm very, very pleased with my relationship with PNC. It's been completely trouble-free. And they were willing to work with me when my primary bank (a 40 year relationship) wasn't. It was a painless process, which means a lot to me.

Message 6 of 7
TurboFX
New Contributor

Index on most if not all heloc is prime rate. Your margin is the + or - prime. It is a good option for now, but keep in mind that prime will go back up. It's not a good option if you plan on carrying that debt long term.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.