Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing -- What to expect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinancing -- What to expect?

With rates significantly lower than when I bought my house, I am interested in potentially refinancing.  Can anyone summarize what the refinancing process is typically like?  Is it essentially the same as when I got the original mortgage -- Several months of pay stubs, W2's, "mysterious" underwriters, appraisal, closing costs, etc.?

We purchased our house back in 2006 for $95,000 w/a mortgage for 80% of the value and a 2nd mortgage for the remaining 20% (to avoid PMI).  I just paid off the 2nd mortgage 17 years early and depending on the rates, would like to refinance the remaining $70,000 with a fixed rate 20 year loan. My credit has no blemishes and I suspect I should have a FICO in the 750 - 800 ballpark (I'm waiting for my credit reports to update before pulling my score) and I have an income of about $78k.  My credit should be better now than when I bought the house initially and my income is about 30% higher.  I have no credit card debt but owe about $12k in student loans and another $12k for a car loan.

I've heard repeatedly that credit is much more stringent now than in the past and somewhat nervous about the whole process.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Refinancing -- What to expect?

Pretty much all the requirements for the documentation of income and obligations are the same, but you'll probably have to demonstrate a steady income for at least two years - but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.  Your credit score, if it really is in the range that you hope, should qualify you for the best available rates.  The balances on your auto loan and student loan are not large, so I'm guessing that the monthly payments don't represent a debt obligation.

Probably the big question mark about the process is how much your home will appraise for now.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.