Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release of Liability from CitiMortgage questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Release of Liability from CitiMortgage questions

Hello,

I'm going through the process of a divorce. The court date is scheduled for a month from now and I'm working on getting ready financially to assume the mortgage on my own. From what I understand I have two options; refinance or request a release of liability. Here are the stats:

Mortgage amount $99,200.

Amount he wants to walk away $55,000. I'm borrowing this from a family member.

Estimated value of house $225,000. An appraisor has not verified this amount but I'm basing it on comparible sales in the neighborhood.

I make about $45,000. My debt is student loans with a monthly payment of $248 a month. Everything else will be paid off by the time I try to qualify. I currently owe about $1850 to Capital One and Best Buy, and I've been putting every extra dollar into getting rid of this debt.

My soon to be ex and I settled for less than the full amount on an ELOC through BofA. This took place last November and is hitting my credit hard. The amount due was around $70,000 and we settled for $14,000.

I have a collection account for a $100 medical bill. It's listed as paid, but still shows up as a negative.

There are two accounts showing as past due. 30 days for the current mortgate that my ex has been paying since he's the one who has been living in the house (March 2014), and a Macy's credit card (May 2013).

My credit scores are TU 702  EQ 694  EXP 673.

What is this process like through Citi and what are the chances this will be approved? I'm very concerned due to the B of A settlement. I understand this hits just as hard as a foreclosure.

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Release of Liability from CitiMortgage questions

I don't understand the question.

Message 2 of 9
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I'm going through the process of a divorce. The court date is scheduled for a month from now and I'm working on getting ready financially to assume the mortgage on my own. From what I understand I have two options; refinance or request a release of liability. Here are the stats:

Mortgage amount $99,200.

Estimated value of house $225,000. An appraisor has not verified this amount but I'm basing it on comparible sales in the neighborhood.

I make about $45,000. My debt is student loans with a monthly payment of $248 a month. Everything else will be paid off by the time I try to qualify. I currently owe about $1850 to Capital One and Best Buy, and I've been putting every extra dollar into getting rid of this debt.

My soon to be ex and I settled for less than the full amount on an ELOC through BofA. This took place last November and is hitting my credit hard. The amount due was around $70,000 and we settled for $14,000.

I have a collection account for a $100 medical bill. It's listed as paid, but still shows up as a negative.

There are two accounts showing as past due. 30 days for the current mortgate that my ex has been paying since he's the one who has been living in the house (March 2014), and a Macy's credit card (May 2013).

What is this process like through Citi and what are the chances this will be approved? I'm very concerned due to the B of A settlement. I understand this hits just as hard as a foreclosure.

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Which process? Refinance or Request a release of liability?   It looks (from just what you posted here) that you have quite a bit of equity in the house,  are you considering the Request for Release of liability?

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I am. I want to go through CitiMortgage and request a release of liability so he is removed from the mortgage. The application fee is $991 and nonrefundable. I'm worried that I won't be able to do the release of liability because of an ELOC that was paid for less than the full amount November 2014.

The Citi reps I talked to won't tell me what I need to do to be approved, or even if I will be approved. They just say, send in your application and money and we'll go from there. Seems pretty crappy to me. For a conventional mortgage at least they let you know if you prequalify.

Message 4 of 9
2b2rich
Established Contributor

I don't blame you.  From everything that I've read (not a lot, though), you won't get that (huge) application fee back if not approved.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, and that's what Citi told me as well. How do I find out if settling for less than the full amount on an ELOC last November will make it so that I don't quality for a release of liability? My soon to be ex will want his name off the mortgage after we divorce. How do I find out, in general, what I need to do to obtain a release of liability, other than send a check for $991 and randomly hope for the best?

Does anyone know the answer to this, or where I might find more information?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What did you end up doing? I am removing my ex-spouse from loan. Where did you see the posted $991 app fee? I have Citi as well thats why I am wondering.

Hope it worked out for you!

Message 7 of 9
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty sure you'll have to do a refinance to get his name off. I haven't heard of any lender where you could just take someone's name off. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Mortgage amount $99,200.

Thank you. Smiley Happy

I dont have any experience with this, except for the loan CO.

If I understand the situation, you want to apply with CitiMortgage to have the mortgage set up with just you and not your Ex husband.

The amount is 99,200 - you didnt state the length of time remaining, the interest rate, or the payments, including insurance nad property taxes..

If you make about 45k a year, you would need to have the DTI to support the loan payments.

As far as the CO, if it is settled, then it should show closed and a balance of 0.  The damage to your CRs has been done and you just have to wait it out until it rolls off, in about 7 years from the DoFD.  Larger banks like B of A dont often do GW deletes, but its your only chance.

I think your scores are Ok and you should work on getting rid of the 'minor' baddies.

Without the numbers for the amount of your mortgage payments, its hard to answer this better.

I am thinking you have a decent chance, but its going to be tight for a year or so.

GL - I am hoping the best for you.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.