Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed collections, applying for mortgage in the future

tag
Dynamo24
New Contributor

Removed collections, applying for mortgage in the future

Hi all, tried researching this and couldn't find much. I had a couple collections that recently fell off my CR. These are UNPAID collections at this time. Can I apply for a mortgage with unpaid collections that have fallen off my CR? I just don't want to head into this process thinking I'm in the clear if I am not. Thanks in advance for your help!

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removed collections, applying for mortgage in the future

If they are outside the SoL you should be good to go. I would expect them to start calling again after you apply though
Message 2 of 9
Dynamo24
New Contributor

In my state they are 2-3 years out of SoL. So during the approval process, this wouldn't cause any issues for approval? Also, when you say "they", are you referring to the collection agencies? 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections can only be on your CR for 7 years from the original delinquency date.  I am assuming since you say they are years past the SoL date, that they have fallen off your credit because they hit their 7 years.  If it is not on your CR it will not affect your mortgage process. 

And yes, collection agencies keep a close eye for mortgage inquiries.. Once they see them, they will start hounding you for payment.  Just remember, if the 7 years is up and the SoL is up, there is nothing they can do.  They will threaten, they will tell you lies.  Do NOT pay them unless you talk to your lender first.  (I suggest not paying them at all since the 7 years and SoL are up.. but I caution against doing anything that could open the collections back up or re-date it without consulting your lender)

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They may have fallen off for the 7 year mark, or maybe they were sold or traded to other CAs.

If you apply for a mortgage, make it a habit to open every letter you receive.  If you get any Dunning letters, send a DV (CMRRR) immediately to try to quash it dead.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had two collections fall off my report due to age last month, (asked for the early exclusion with Experian). Once the item has been "deleted" especially if it's due to age, then it's gone. 

Message 6 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

aimeerogers post is right....please listen to her. 

Message 7 of 9
Dynamo24
New Contributor

Thanks for all the responses. Doing my pre-approval stuff now, its asking if I have any open accounts in collection. Do I have to disclose this even though they have fallen off my CR or can I just say no? 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bumping for response. I'm in the same boat looking to apply in November for a mortgage.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.