Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Disputes and Dispute remarks from CR

tag
SGTRECON39
Established Member

Removing Disputes and Dispute remarks from CR

I just had to have all remarks even from old disputes removed as I'm buying a home. The lender told me that disputes actually hurt your score. Well my Equifax score dropped 44 pints once removed and it brings the last activity date to the current year/month. Anyone else see this happen and did you score go back up quickly?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Removing Disputes and Dispute remarks from CR

That is how it goes. Now you rebuild to where you need to be ... without disputes on your reports.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So im confused. I see posts that say to remove the remarks, but if they hurt the score it could be a deal breaker.

So should you remove remarks or not?
Message 3 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So im confused. I see posts that say to remove the remarks, but if they hurt the score it could be a deal breaker.

So should you remove remarks or not?

Underwriters will not approve you mortgage application with disputes on your credit reports. Yes, it will affect your scores ... which is the reason that underwriters want you to remove them before applying. Don't apply for a mortgage until you have removed the disputes and then rebuit your credit profile. I don't know how much clearer I can state this.

Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Doug, EZ is a little harsh, but he is right.

The disputes mask your true score. You can get credit for cc's and auto loans with disputes on your file. You can not get a mortgage with disputes on your file.  That is why EZ suggests removing the disputes and rebuilding your credit without disputes before you ever apply for a mortgage. That way your mortgage scores will reflect your 'true' score and you won't have to scramble during the mortgage process and potentially not be able to qualify.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.