Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rent amount?

tag
kleahc
New Contributor

Rent amount?

Why would a mortgage lender ask what my rent payments are each month? She said she was comparing what I was paying now to what I would be paying with my mortgage.

Well, I have been living in a lower-rent place specifically to save money for a home purchase. My mortgage payment will of course be higher than what I am paying now (by about $250!) But that was something I understood to be part of the home-buying process! I could be living in a higher-rent place, but I chose to save for a house. Will I be punished for that because my mortgage will be higher than rent??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rent amount?

I wouldn't think so as long as your DTI and everything else is fine. Smiley Happy 

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 2 of 8
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

I will let the experts say but I know I was also asked my rent amount I think it is just one of the questions that are asked.  I think for some loans rent has to be verified.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 3 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

There are underwriting guidelines that include tests for payment shock [as defined by government mortgage regs] so the question is a standard one. No biggie. Remember that some pay zero rent [living with parents?] and that is harder to explain when savings are also sparse.

Message 4 of 8
Legen_dary
Frequent Contributor

Interesting, none of the lenders I talked to asked me what my current rent was. But for the one I selected, I noticed on the GFE that they put an even number around 80% of my mortgage payment + taxes, etc.

Message 5 of 8
kleahc
New Contributor

Help me sort this out, please? My rent is $875, my mortgage payment (including taxes & insurance) will run about $1,008. Will that cause a red flag for the mortgage lender?

Message 6 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

No. If your DTI with the new payment is fine you will be fine.

They are checking for payment shock. You calculate it by taking the new payment ($1008) and divide it by the old rent payment ($875) and it will give you the percentage increase. In your case its a 15% increase so no payment shock. There is no set number of which I am aware but it is one of the factors that the lender looks at for your overall file. Don't worry about it.

Message 7 of 8
kleahc
New Contributor

Thanks. This is an item on the application I had never even thought of. I was told by my lender I had nothing to worry about, but come on. I am going to sleep very little until closing.

What else should I be loking out for? (I know- huge question.)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.