Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental History

tag
_John_Doe
Contributor

Rental History

My wife and I are in the underwriting process for a VA loan and the "last" hurdle is two years rental history. I told our loan officer good luck getting a response and even if you do it will most likely be bogus. You see, when my wife and I ended our lease, after three years of renting, the rental agency claimed that we were late for a total of twelve months. We called BS and asked them to prove it and they couldn't so we filed a BBB complaint and the rental agency refunded the bogus charges they tried to keep from our security deposit.

We have provided the BBB complaint info, lease info, and bank records for two years showing the rent payments. If the agency doesn't respond could that sink our approval?

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ 709 EXP 702 TU 700
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Rental History

It should not affect you at all. You have bank statements showing when the rental agency cashed the checks and I am sure they were on-time. 

Message 2 of 4
adymax
Contributor

This rental history verification is kind of stupid. What happens if I rent from a private owner and he changes his phone #?  How UW will verify my rental history if we cannot find the owner except bank statements?  

And bank statements don’t say when you sent the check only when landlord cashed the check which maybe anytime in a month.

Message 3 of 4
_John_Doe
Contributor

I guess I'm more annoyed than anything. We never had any issues with the rental agency during the three years we rented from them. We signed two extensions, gave 30 days notice that we would not renew as required by the lease. Out of the blue they tried to claim we were habitually late on rent and tried to keep part of the security desposit. Smiley Mad

I probably should have sued them! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ 709 EXP 702 TU 700
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.