Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental verification

tag
moneystinks
New Contributor

Rental verification

I am currently in underwriting (getting approved for a loan before I go look for a house due to a foreclosure on my report from an ex). I'm at a standstill because I need to provide rental verification and my apartment manager won't do it until I give 30 days notice and pay the last month. Well I can't do that yet because I'm not leaving yet. My lease is up April 30. I have already provided my canceled checks. I called the management company and asked what they could do and was told that the manager could print out a rental ledger and give that to me and also she could verify over the phone if she didn't want to put it in writing yet. The manager refuses to do so. I'm going to the office today to talk to her as she won't return my calls. Any ideas on how to get this done? I was floored by the refusal. By the way I've paid on time every month most months earlier than the 1st.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: Rental verification

Have you been told that your cancelled checks aren't enough proof? That is all we have had to provide to our underwriter.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@moneystinks wrote:
I am currently in underwriting (getting approved for a loan before I go look for a house due to a foreclosure on my report from an ex). I'm at a standstill because I need to provide rental verification and my apartment manager won't do it until I give 30 days notice and pay the last month. Well I can't do that yet because I'm not leaving yet. My lease is up April 30. I have already provided my canceled checks. I called the management company and asked what they could do and was told that the manager could print out a rental ledger and give that to me and also she could verify over the phone if she didn't want to put it in writing yet. The manager refuses to do so. I'm going to the office today to talk to her as she won't return my calls. Any ideas on how to get this done? I was floored by the refusal. By the way I've paid on time every month most months earlier than the 1st.

Your apartment complex manager has to provide you with a ledger of your payments, if you ask for them. There is no rule or law that says that you have to give your notice. My complex manager printed my entire rental history (3 years worth) with no questions asked. If she will not print your information, ask for an assistant manager, and if that still doesn't work then call the management company whom you make your rent checks payable to and ask them for a copy. 

Message 3 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Usually the cancelled checks are enough for the underwriter.

Sometimes the lender will do a simple VOR, but you can't be involved in that process. The lender contacts the landlord directly for verification and the landlord/managemen co fills out a form to return to the lender. Easy as pie Smiley Happy

As to the poster saying there is no rule or law about notice - that would be highly, highly unusual.  From every lease I have seen (and I'm a Realtor so I see many), there is a provision right in the lease that you have to follow for notification of vacating the property. There are also state statutes.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Usually the cancelled checks are enough for the underwriter.

Sometimes the lender will do a simple VOR, but you can't be involved in that process. The lender contacts the landlord directly for verification and the landlord/managemen co fills out a form to return to the lender. Easy as pie Smiley Happy

As to the poster saying there is no rule or law about notice - that would be highly, highly unusual.  From every lease I have seen (and I'm a Realtor so I see many), there is a provision right in the lease that you have to follow for notification of vacating the property. There are also state statutes.

What I meant to say was that there is no rule or law, that I am aware of, where you have to give your 30-days notice just to retrieve a ledger of your rental payments. I am aware that you have to give notice before you vacate. I was 4 months away from moving and my complex gave me the ledger - no questions asked. 

Message 5 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Oh, that makes sense. I agree with you, there should be no issue at all of getting a ledger from the landlord or management office

Message 6 of 10
moneystinks
New Contributor

Whew... finally got a ledger printed out for me and the underwriter accepted that for now.  They'll do a rental verification once we know when closing will be and I'm ready to give my notice. They do have a copy of all of my cancelled checks for the past 14 months.

I had to call the management company that owns the apartments I live in (actually had already called last week, and was told she could do whatever I needed) and she still refused.  I went into the office yesterday and ended up having to call them on my phone with the speaker and them verbally tell her to print out my ledger.  I finally just said - you have no legal backing for not giving me a copy of my rental ledger. It is my rental history and my right to have a copy.   She very begrudgingly printed it out and gave it to me. She was not a happy camper.   But oh well, I at least got what I needed for now.  Hope to be giving my notice in about 45 days!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know people say you should buy a home to build up finances and savings, but for me, it's about getting control of your environment, being able to paint and renovate without having to ask permission, and never, ever having to deal with people like that woman in your management office!!!

Message 8 of 10
moneystinks
New Contributor

She is the reason that I'm leaving.  If I call and make a maintenance request, most of the time I have to call 2 or 3 times before it gets done.  Maintenance has really gone done, too.  Lots of people are moving out, and not a lot are moving in the vacancies.    Speaks volumes to me.    She's rude to everyone that walks in the door.

Needless to say I'll be moving whether I get a mortgage or not! LOL

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@moneystinks wrote:

Whew... finally got a ledger printed out for me and the underwriter accepted that for now.  They'll do a rental verification once we know when closing will be and I'm ready to give my notice. They do have a copy of all of my cancelled checks for the past 14 months.

I had to call the management company that owns the apartments I live in (actually had already called last week, and was told she could do whatever I needed) and she still refused.  I went into the office yesterday and ended up having to call them on my phone with the speaker and them verbally tell her to print out my ledger.  I finally just said - you have no legal backing for not giving me a copy of my rental ledger. It is my rental history and my right to have a copy.   She very begrudgingly printed it out and gave it to me. She was not a happy camper.   But oh well, I at least got what I needed for now.  Hope to be giving my notice in about 45 days!

Yikes! What kind of stick did she have up her you-know-what? Seems like it would've made her day(s) just a bit easier to print that baby out and give it to you. I will never understand some people. But congrats on finally getting your ledger!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.