Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renting vs owning

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Renting vs owning

Hi there,

I am looking for an apartment closer to work and the apartment prices are very expensive. They cost the same as a mortgage payment, if not more. My question is:

1. I'm sure this is a no but do banks still offer zero down if you have excellent credit and great debt to income ratio when applying for a mortgage loan? 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Renting vs owning

Only if you are

1) a Vet and get a VA loan

2) Live in a rural community and qualify for a USDA loan

3) can get special down payment assistance offered by a local entity to help with the down payment

Most people are using FHA these days for purchases

It only requires a 3.5% down payment and allows the seller to pay up to 6% for closing costs (must be negotiated when you make your offer)

Good Luck hope this helps

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Brian. What are the requirements to be considered for a FHA loan?
Message 3 of 6
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

620 mid score

3.5% down payment

2 year employment same line of work

Seller can pay up to 6% for closing

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

we are currently going FHA and NH housing. they require 3.5% but we are asked to put 1%down and getting a grant for 4% to go towards the down payment, and are having the seller contribute to pay our closing. we offered 192k and put 2000 down with appraisal and inspedction figured in. The LO did a calculation to see... we were paying 930 a mo for rent, and are looking to pay 1600 a mo for mortgage.. and after 30 yrs, its only like a 20k difference, made more sense to us to own when we saw the figures
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going through a first time homebuyer program with US Bank. This program is a conventional  loan with no PMI -- and they only require $1000 out of pocket. I spend a bit more than that because I gave $1000 earnest money, paid for a $300 inspection, and $400 for the appraisal. But, I will have a 3 bedroom house with my PITI $200 a month less than the rent I'm paying on a 2 bedroom apartment now. My credit is not the best, but I had a mid score of 640 when I originally applied in July.

I know other lenders have programs like this. If you have a homebuying counselor in your area, they can probably tell you about these programs and other downpayment assistance. I started by going to a daylong "home stretch" (first time homebuyer) class, which cost me $35. I think now is actually a great time to buy. I would be tickled pink to be getting this, even without the $8000 tax incentive.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.