cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request FICO Scores before applying for a mortgage??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Request FICO Scores before applying for a mortgage??

I'm trying to determine if it will be worth the $50 to get my FICO scores before applying for a mortgage.  I currently pay for a credit monitoring service through HSBC's Credit Keeper, which provides scores for all three bureaus.  I am aware that these scores are not FICO scores and are typicially not accurate.  With this monitoring service my scores are Ex 724, EQ 714, and TU 749. I have no late payments and no potentially negative items.  I do have slightly high debt ratios and will discuss those issues with my lender when I apply later this month.  Is it worth it for me to pay the $50 to know exactly what my scores are before I apply?  Or should I just wait and let the lender pull my score for the pre-approval since I will have to pay for the credit report then anyway?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nicemann
Established Contributor

Re: Request FICO Scores before applying for a mortgage??

Well I myself like to know my FICO scores so I would pull them.  FICOS and FAKOs can range big time.  BUT the catch 22 is most lenders will use a "mortgage FICO" and it may vary a little.  Guess it is a different formula.  Choice is yours, just pulling it now would give you a good idea of where you sit.
Message 2 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

waste of $50
Retired Lender
Message 3 of 8
nicemann
Established Contributor

DallasLoanGuy wrote:
waste of $50

LOL ok.....listen to what Dallas says then. 
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Despite what Dallas says, I hate surprises & always feel like I am taken more seriously if I walk in already knowing where I stand. I would pay the $50 just so I don't have the wide-eyed, breath-holding moment while the mortgage dude pulls up my scores Smiley Happy

But I'm a girl too, so I've already had eff-her attempts by shady car salesman.. I have found I don't get straight answers if I don't walk in ahead of the curve.
Message 5 of 8
TraumaDrea
Valued Member

Spend the $50. It was worth it to me my FAKO's were way lower then my FICO's and now I should be closing on my house in July
Traumajunkie "I am not saying I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you do! "
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.  I posted this message on a couple of different money communities and I think I am going to keep the $50 earning interest in my down payment savings account.  I know my credit is good and there is no real reason to pay for my report twice (three times if you count my monitoring service).
Message 7 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Blackeyes24 wrote:
Thanks everyone.  I posted this message on a couple of different money communities and I think I am going to keep the $50 earning interest in my down payment savings account.  I know my credit is good and there is no real reason to pay for my report twice (three times if you count my monitoring service).

good move.... you will know your scores for free when you apply.
Retired Lender
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.