Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserves required by???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reserves required by???

we were pre approved for FHA,  LO asked if we could do 3 months reserves, we said we could try to have 2 months. We are still working on having that.  My question is we dont need to have that showing until the final day we close right? We should have by closing beginning July. Will they see that we dont have before then and not go through with approval? We have been saving and cutting costs and dont anticipate to have reserves met until end of June...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Reserves required by???

a couple of days before closing so the uw can sign off on it

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, a couple days before hand should be fine.  They can even check same day if closing is a bit later in the day.

Message 3 of 9
joshall
Contributor

Do you have reserves in 401(k)? 70% of that should also be considered as reserves.

Message 4 of 9
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Josh, that may be a lender overlay. We didn't have our funds in the bank until 1 week before our original close date. We had specific deposits that we were using that would not be available until them. We kept the LO informed and provided all documentation.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 9
joshall
Contributor

frugal, I just created a new post.  I didn't realize OP was asking about reserves. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is "lender overlay"? Thx
Message 7 of 9
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...in goverment guaranteed loans like fha/usda, the govt has certain minimums and maximums that it requires be met for any loan such as minimum score, max dtirs, max loan amount ...but the lender is actually making the loan and may want a higher score, lower dtirs, etc etc ...these are called "overlays" because they can require things over what the govt itself requires ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uncle Lemmus came in and said-

..."in goverment guaranteed loans like fha/usda, the govt has certain minimums and maximums that it requires be met for any loan such as minimum score, max dtirs, max loan amount ...but the lender is actually making the loan and may want a higher score, lower dtirs, etc etc ...these are called "overlays" because they can require things over what the govt itself requires ...hth"

Helpful post.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.