Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserves?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reserves?

I'm new to the whole house-buying thing - my husband and I are hoping to buy a house in the near-ish future, if at all possible. I keep reading about the importance of cash reserves, but can't find any information as to how much would be regarded as enough/not enough/great/bad/etc. I've seen a few posts on here talking about how many months reserves people have - does that mean X months salary (each, if we're talking about a couple?), X months PITI, or... something else?

Our situation is that we are hoping to buy something in the region of $150,000. Until a couple of weeks ago we had a little over $20,000 in savings and were planning on using around $15,000 as a 10% down payment. After a very expensive car-needing-a-new-engine incident, our savings account now contains a mere $13,500 - as we had no choice but to deplete our savings to fix the car, I withdrew about an extra $1000 to pay down some of our credit cards, reduce our % utilization quite considerably, and hopefully see a positive upswing in the FICO scores once the credit cards report the new balances.

Of course, that leaves us far short of a 10% down payment! We had arranged to meet with a loan officer from our bank just before the 'car incident' happened - when we explained the situation, he suggested putting 5% down instead of 10% - we were also talking about ways of minimizing closing costs (such as offering full asking price on a property but asking the seller to pay closing). Now I'm thinking about the whole 'cash reserves' thing. Assuming a down payment of $7500, that would leave $6000 in the account.

Sorry for the long thinking-out-loud post, but I've spent so much time fixating over our FICO scores, our DTI, blah blah blah... but hadn't really considered how much a lender might NEED to see in reserves (or what that even means!) when deciding whether or not to approve us for a mortgage. So any clarification anyone would offer would be very gratefully received!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reserves?

When I refinanced my mortgage a few years back, we were told we needed to show 2 months' reserves at closing. That was the equivalent of 2 months of mortgage payments. Lenders may require more or less reserves to show at closing (some programs require no reserves - this was the first time we needed to show them), so you may want to call your loan officer and find out what he/she recommends.
Message 2 of 5
New Contributor

You may want to look into FHA which requires only 3% down, or even USDA Rural Dev. Loan (100% financing) if the property qualifies.  That would leave more in your cash reserves to help qualify for your loan.   Conventional loans generally require 5% down which is why your lender probably suggested this.  If your lender hasn't suggested FHA, perhaps it is because he is not authorized to do them. Try another lender then. 
FICOs
04/08/08 TU 761 EQ 740 EX 756
Closed on my first mortgage on 4/25/2008!!!
05/18/08 TU 771 EQ 740 EX 756
08/18/08 TU 749 EQ776 EX 768
I never have real credit card debt, just the 1-9% for reporting purposes!!!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick replies! Smiley Happy

The loan officer did actually mention FHA as a possibility too - so that's another one to look at, thank you!

As far as the reserves, go, just to clarify... when a lender is looking for X number of months cash reserves, does a one month reserve = one month of mortgage payments, then?

Thanks again!
Message 4 of 5
New Contributor

To the best of my knowledge, yes.   1 month reserves = 1 month of PITI

Message Edited by kiminno on 04-19-2008 02:33 PM
FICOs
04/08/08 TU 761 EQ 740 EX 756
Closed on my first mortgage on 4/25/2008!!!
05/18/08 TU 771 EQ 740 EX 756
08/18/08 TU 749 EQ776 EX 768
I never have real credit card debt, just the 1-9% for reporting purposes!!!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.