Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Responsibility on a Foreclosure?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Responsibility on a Foreclosure?

I live in CA and am on the deed to a house I live in as a tenant in common. I am not however on the mortgage of the house.

If the house were to go into foreclosure am I at credit risk if I was not on the loan? I invested no money into the house and the principal investors are in financial trouble and I cannot support the entire mortgage on my own.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Responsibility on a Foreclosure?

You'd have to answer "Yes" to the question on a loan application if you've ever had a home go into foreclosure (since you are on title), but would not have to answer yes to if you've ever been obligated on a loan that has resulted in foreclosure (since you are not on the mortgage)... not sure what the legal ramifications but my guess is that the lender couldn't go after you though since you are not obligated to the debt, however I'd recommend you consult a real estate attorney since I am not one.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.