Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse "payment shock" (high rent, much lower mortgage) and other questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reverse "payment shock" (high rent, much lower mortgage) and other questions

Hello! 

I make around $48,000/year at a regular W2 job that I’ve had for about a year and a half.  My husband is self-employed and has a business that shows very little profit (under $5,000 the past 2 years).  We have no debt whatsoever (no cc debt, no car payments and no student loans).  My credit score is around 780 and my husband’s is in the same range.

We’re looking to purchase our first home.  Truthfully at the moment we pay way too much on rent than we should, around $2,000/month (I hope I don’t get judgment, there are various complicated reasons for this…).  The thing is… we have very little expenses and so we are able to afford this fairly comfortably, believe it or not.  Although it may not have been the smartest move, we love the home we’re renting and haven’t felt the motivation to move into another rental.

Anyhow, I keep seeing that with our income we are going to be only approved for a relatively small PITI that results in a much smaller payment each month (around $900), which is fantastic… however the problem is that we live in a very expensive area of the US and would feel comfortable paying probably up to $1,500/month PITI which is what would allow us to get a single family home and not a condo.  We have around $7,000 for a downpayment and are thinking of going the FHA route, might I add.

My question is… I know there’s the “payment shock” calculation that lenders sometime use, but does that ever factor in the other way?  We’ve been paying $2k/month for rent for nearly 3 years and our landlord can vouch that we’ve always been on time, etc. Combined with our non-existent DTI ratio and high credit scores, do we think we have a shot at getting a 36%+ front end ratio mortgage?

Another question is would it be even worth it to have my husband factored into the mortgage since he makes such relatively low income (on paper)?  I keep hearing how self-employment makes everything 10x more complicated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Reverse "payment shock" (high rent, much lower mortgage) and other questions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello! 

I make around $48,000/year at a regular W2 job that I’ve had for about a year and a half.  My husband is self-employed and has a business that shows very little profit (under $5,000 the past 2 years).  We have no debt whatsoever (no cc debt, no car payments and no student loans).  My credit score is around 780 and my husband’s is in the same range.

We’re looking to purchase our first home.  Truthfully at the moment we pay way too much on rent than we should, around $2,000/month (I hope I don’t get judgment, there are various complicated reasons for this…).  The thing is… we have very little expenses and so we are able to afford this fairly comfortably, believe it or not.  Although it may not have been the smartest move, we love the home we’re renting and haven’t felt the motivation to move into another rental.

Anyhow, I keep seeing that with our income we are going to be only approved for a relatively small PITI that results in a much smaller payment each month (around $900), which is fantastic… however the problem is that we live in a very expensive area of the US and would feel comfortable paying probably up to $1,500/month PITI which is what would allow us to get a single family home and not a condo.  We have around $7,000 for a downpayment and are thinking of going the FHA route, might I add.

My question is… I know there’s the “payment shock” calculation that lenders sometime use, but does that ever factor in the other way?  We’ve been paying $2k/month for rent for nearly 3 years and our landlord can vouch that we’ve always been on time, etc. Combined with our non-existent DTI ratio and high credit scores, do we think we have a shot at getting a 36%+ front end ratio mortgage?

Another question is would it be even worth it to have my husband factored into the mortgage since he makes such relatively low income (on paper)?  I keep hearing how self-employment makes everything 10x more complicated.

Yes. It' not considered "reverse payment shock" - its just an higher DTI.  It is common. Also, since you have no back end debt, you won't have any issues based on your post.

Message 2 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Reverse "payment shock" (high rent, much lower mortgage) and other questions

I forgot to add:  here the front end ratio can go as high as 45.99 for FHA depending upon the lender.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much!  I was thinking that the 28/33 was pretty much the rule and getting more than that would be near impossible (without a super exorbitant rate).

Message 4 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Every lender is different - they can make their criteria more restrictive than what FHA allows (but not more loose).

The first question you will want to ask the lender is what  are their guidelines for ratios. Show them your income and debt and they can calculate the ratios instantly.

If they won't get to a ratio that will allow you to purchase the home - then find another lender. Good luck! (BTW, those ratio's you are using are generally used for conventional type loans rather than FHA loans).

Message 5 of 9
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

What determines the Front end ratio? 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 6 of 9
GregB
Valued Contributor

One of the many differences between paying rent and paying a house payment is that it can be far worse to be late on a house payment than rent. Another difference is that there are additional expenses when you own a house. If you aren't careful, some of those expenses can be large. The maintenance and repairs on a house can be a shock.

It is probably a good idea to keep your house payment lower than the maximum rent you could pay. The fact that you have no other debt is a good sign that you have been responsible with your finances. Keeping your house payment affordable is continuing with that financial responsibility.

Message 7 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@FairCredBen wrote:

What determines the Front end ratio? 

Do you mean what makes up the Front end ratio? Or who determines the percentage?

The front end ratio consists of your entire montly housing payment:  Principal, Interest, Hazard Insurance, RE taxes, HOA/Cond fees (if any) and Mortgage Insurance (if applicable).

As to how the percentage is determined - the lender has loan guidelines that the secondary market will allow (so the loan can be sold); but the lender can make the ratios tighter if they choose. When a lender wants more of a particular type of loan, they will loosen guidelines and when they have enough, they will tighten guidelines. Lender policy changes with the market and the financial institutions' own portfolio requirements.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GregB wrote:

One of the many differences between paying rent and paying a house payment is that it can be far worse to be late on a house payment than rent. Another difference is that there are additional expenses when you own a house. If you aren't careful, some of those expenses can be large. The maintenance and repairs on a house can be a shock.

It is probably a good idea to keep your house payment lower than the maximum rent you could pay. The fact that you have no other debt is a good sign that you have been responsible with your finances. Keeping your house payment affordable is continuing with that financial responsibility.

Yup, excellent point.  Even with allocating like $100-200/month for "home maintenence" we're still going to be several hundred dollars ahead per month with a mortgage rather than current rent per the home price range I'm looking at.  I think we're ready to buy and I feel comfortable with the extra possible expenses.

Now I'm just wondering since my husband is self-employed with essentially no profit at the moment, would it be better for just me to apply for the mortgage....

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.