Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review my GFE - Thanks!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Review my GFE - Thanks!

I just don't know but it seems like a bargain to me. I've pitted 3 lenders against one-another and mine best is $5500 for a $52K townhouse.

Message 11 of 16
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Thanks for the feedback everyone - all of your opinions are really appreciated!

StrateUp - When I was panicking about not having the GFE yet, my LO told me not to worry because he thought I would be "very happy" with their fees, but since I've never bought a house before and I'm not familiar with normal fee amounts, either generally or in my area, I wasn't sure what to think of the GFE. It sounds like maybe it's pretty decent, which is all I was looking for. Basically, we have to accept this loan if we want a house (no one else would approve us), but I know this is a long term commitment, so I also don't want to sign up for a bad deal just to get a house. I'm feeling much better now Smiley Happy

noncontrol - I am in the Columbus area.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 12 of 16
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

I too understand a bit betterSmiley Happy

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 16
pakman92
Established Contributor

Ditto on the too much for home owners insurance.  I pay $800 ish for my house which i paid ~350,000.  It's probably worth less than that now.  I'm afraid to look.

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 14 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@MBOhio2 wrote:

I think all of these qualify as "closing costs" (these are all lumped together as "settlement costs" in my GFE).... my builder is paying $7000 toward closing costs and I am just assuming that that $7000 will come off of the approx. $16000 that will be owed at the table. I will of course clarify this as we get a little closer to closing, but that's my current understanding.

No, closing costs are different from all costs collected at closing. I know it seems like a petty difference; however, there are two types of costs paid at closing: pre-paid expenses and non-reoccurring closing costs.

Pre-paid expenses include items like:  insurance, pre-paid interest (this would be your per diem interest until the end of the month), and initial deposits to your escrow/impound account.

Closing costs include all the costs associated with obtaining your loan (lender costs) plus title costs and government fees.

If you paid cash, you don't have any lender costs (naturally! Smiley Happy) but you still have title fees and government fees like the cost of recording the deed.

So, if your lender is paying $7000 at closing, which costs are they willing to pay? It should be specified in your contract, especially if its a builder. Here is a tip: get the builders lender to specify which costs the builder will pick up on either a HUD form or a GFE or even a closing costs worksheet so you know what else you have to pay. If the lender won't do it, go back to the builder and get them to list each and every item they pay. Caution: IME, builders pass through seller closing costs to the buyer and the amount that is paid at closing covers their costs but not too much of your costs.  Get specifics so you know right away.

Message 15 of 16
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

StartingOver10 - Thank you for the correction and information!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.