Did you mean: 

Right time to start mortgage process?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right time to start mortgage process?

When should I start mortgage process?

Here are my details.

Our current rental lease expiring on Sept/30/2012, I have two payments remaining on Auto loan. One of my CC has 2,400 @ 0% with 5,100 limits I pay $200 / month.

Total CC limit is 45,000, rest CCs I PIF, no other debt.

Should I wait for couple of months, payoff auto, some CC and save some money on lease breaking? I am supposed to give 60 days’ notice and would cost around $4,000 otherwise.

Credit

All FICO Scores: 770+
NO negatives, little over 6 years of credit.

Income

2012: would be same as 2011
2011: $124K
2010: $100K

Source of income

Employment

Monthly debt payments

CC: $100.00
Car: $300.00

Employment

6 years with same employer

Assets/Reserves

Will put 20% down

IL

Property

Single family house / condo / townhouse

Value

Up to $250K

Occupancy

Primary residence

Transaction Type

Purchase

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Right time to start mortgage process?

@Anonymous wrote:

Here are my details.

@Our current rental lease expiring on Sept/30/2012, I have two payments remaining on Auto loan. One of my CC has 2,400 @ 0% with 5,100 limits I pay $200 / month.

Should I wait for couple of months, payoff auto, some CC and save some money on lease breaking? I am supposed to give 60 days’ notice and would cost around $4,000 otherwise.

Credit

Income

Source of income

Employment

Monthly debt payments

Employment

Assets/Reserves

Will put 20% down

IL

Property

Value

Up to $250K

Occupancy

Primary residence

Transaction Type

Purchase

You are good to go now.  Most lenders would be more than happy to take your application for a home loan.   All you need is about 2% cash reserves after down payment and closing costs are paid. 

Message 2 of 9
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@namvet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here are my details.

@Our current rental lease expiring on Sept/30/2012, I have two payments remaining on Auto loan. One of my CC has 2,400 @ 0% with 5,100 limits I pay $200 / month.

Credit

Income

Source of income

Employment

Monthly debt payments

Employment

Assets/Reserves

Will put 20% down

IL

Property

Value

Up to $250K

Occupancy

Primary residence

Transaction Type

Purchase

You are good to go now.  Most lenders would be more than happy to take your application for a home loan.   All you need is about 2% cash reserves after down payment and closing costs are paid. 

+1

Happy house hunting/purchasing. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll have what they call a "thin file", so I wouldn't worry about the financing side - in fact I would advise shopping around for the best rate since you should have plenty of lenders eager for your business.

In terms of how soon to start looking at houses, that depends on the market in your area, and if you are going to consider short sales etc. Personally I would say no harm in starting now, if you happen to find something you love and need to move early so be it, but you'll have plenty of time to find the perfect place.

Message 4 of 9
r1lukasz
New Contributor

If my income was 124k a year I will not need a mortgage

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Other thing that I have in mind is should I go for pre-approval now as it will be valid for 60 days or so? How should I select lender and even real estate broker? I have account with CU, may be that should be the first place I should look.

Thanks,

NC

Message 6 of 9
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Other thing that I have in mind is should I go for pre-approval now as it will be valid for 60 days or so? How should I select lender and even real estate broker? I have account with CU, may be that should be the first place I should look.

Thanks,

NC

I'd wait.  The pre-approval is good for 60 days but if your not really shopping yet it will likely expire before you close and they will run your credit again hitting you with another inquiery.  You file is a no-brainer.  Get your pre-approval when your ready to move forward.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@boomhower wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks,

NC

I'd wait.  The pre-approval is good for 60 days but if your not really shopping yet it will likely expire before you close and they will run your credit again hitting you with another inquiery.  You file is a no-brainer.  Get your pre-approval when your ready to move forward.

Do they have to run credit to give pre-approval? Can't they look bank statements last few months, printout of Amex CreditSecure and most updated EQ / TU report with FICO score?

Message 8 of 9
frogfan12
Established Contributor

They will run your credit. Otherwise, they would not have a realistic picture of your credit worthiness just by looking at bank statements. Bank statements don't tell them all they need to know.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.