Contributor
Juniper117

Rules for counting almost-paid-off car loan in FHA or USDA mortgages?

I have a car loan that has about 6 payments left on it. Would this be included in my DTI ratio for either FHA or USDA mortgages? I have found differing info on FHA loans and am unsure about USDA (Rural Development guaranteed, not direct)

Super Contributor
ShanetheMortgageMan

Re: Rules for counting almost-paid-off car loan in FHA or USDA mortgages?

Basic rule of thumb is if the payment is $100/mo or more it'll be included in the debt ratio no matter how many months are remaining - if it's less than $100/mo and has 10 or less months remaining then most lenders will exclude it from your debt ratio.  But someone who isn't looking to qualify for a high payment, say a $600/mo payment, and that would already put their debt ratio at a higher level, then you may see an underwriter not feel comfortable excluding that payment since it'd represent a significant portion of your monthly payment each month.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}