cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rural Development and Chase- 401K loan counted in DTI or possibility of ratio waiver

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rural Development and Chase- 401K loan counted in DTI or possibility of ratio waiver

Hello-

I am preparing to apply for a mortgage through a broker in town who originates RD loans through Chase. The following is my information:

Salary- $64,300/yr

FICO- 756 (there is are NO derogatory data in my credit file, i.e. lates, collections, judgements, etc.)

Student Loans- $235/mo

Personal Loan- $235/mo

401(k) loan- $432/mo (actually 403a accounts, I think. The non-profit equivalent)

No revolving credit owed at this time

I also have another $27,000 in my 403a. The rest is tied up as collateral for the loan I took out.

I have read the lender manuals for Chase, FHA, GMAC, Freddie Mac, and Fannie Mae and they all state that debt that is collateralized and could be paid off by liquidating the capital (specifically mentioned 401(k) loans) do not have to be included in the DTI. I also know that a gap sometimes exists between practice and policy especially in today's financial situation.

With the 403(a) loan included in DTI, we are short a bit in being able to buy the homes in the price range we are looking. For those of you out there who actually originate loans or any who have been in the same situation, will the 403(a) loans be included in the DTI by the underwriter? If so, based on the above information, how flexible are the ratios? I am I missing anything with this at all?

For those who may be concerned about us trying to extend ourselves too far, our intent is to pay off the personal loan with the $7500 tax loan and the student loans will be paid off in two years. We intended to wait but we just want to take advantage of this great market and great interest rates.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Rural Development and Chase- 401K loan counted in DTI or possibility of ratio waiver

What did the broker say? Are they including the pmt?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rural Development and Chase- 401K loan counted in DTI or possibility of ratio waiver

She was non-committal on her answer but she calculated an affordable price as though it were counted. I am not convinced that they are the right broker. I have talked to two and haven't been completely impressed by either so I did not want to actually apply until I either had more information myself, or found a broker I trusted completely (or as completely as I should.)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.