Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHOULD I.....

tag
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

SHOULD I.....

Hi Everyone-

Once again turning to the experts here for advice Smiley Happy   I would like to obtain a mortgage within the next year or so and here is my story:

Filed Chptr 7 (medical reasons) in Jan. of last year.

Current accounts:  Cap One $1500., NFCU $3500., OB $420., and Hooters $320.

I recently was given the advice that, in order to boost my score, I should get a small car loan and pay it off over 1 year.  So, I applied for a 10,000 car with 2000. down (like this weekend)  and got the following approvals:  Wells Fargo 12.4, Chase 12.9, and CapOne 10.74.

Here is my questions:

1.  Will this really help my scores and chances of mortgage approval?

2.  Should I take the higher interest rate through Wells Fargo as I hope to apply for a mortgage with them and this would show that I am a good credit risk?

P.S.  I was given my score of 646

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: SHOULD I.....

The BK is going to stop the deal in it's tracks.  FHA is 2 years from BK discharge, conventional I think is 3.

An auto loan will have a neglible impact at best.  If you have never had an installment loan it may bring up your score a touch after the new account hit wears off but it's neglible at best.  Having a prior product with a big bank really doesn't make any difference.

Message 2 of 4
K_J
Regular Contributor

I am not an expert but have you considered what your DTI would look like with the car loan factored in? something to thnk about.

Starting Score: EQ: 532, EX: 569, TU: 621 (All lender pull 10/15/11)
Score: EQ: 660,lender pull 4/13, EX: 671 lender pull 4/13, TU: 691 lender pull (4/13)
, current Score (3/16/17) EQ: 724. Goal Score: 700

Message 3 of 4
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Understood, thank you for your response.  I am looking to purchase the home next year, which would put me at the two-year mark.  Its too bad about the relationship with the bank though Smiley Frustrated

Thanks Again!

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.