cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SO Upset with my mortgage broker. Cross your fingers for us!

tag
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

SO Upset with my mortgage broker. Cross your fingers for us!

We're going USDA. Our earnest money deposit covers all of our out of pocket expenses, and we're set to actually get 1500 of it BACK at closing. That INCLUDES the money for inspection and appraisal. Broker emails that "as a formailty" he needs a check for the appraisal. 450 bucks. I *have* the email from him still that he's going to "hold" this check because of the closing scenario that the money for the appraisal will be taken from our earnest money and lender credit.

Husband gets paid on the 15th. We don't have a lot of money in our checking account at this point. I keep our savings with ING. Basically the only money in my checking account is our rent money since the check hasn't cleared.

What do you think happened yesterday? 450 check cleared the account. I IMMEDIATELY transferred money over from ING, but it takes 2 business days to show up Smiley Sad  If my rent clears today (and I so suspect it's going to) I'm going to have an NSF. On my rent no less. In the middle of the mortgage process.

I haven't had an NSF is almost FOUR years. I'm SO pissed.

Broker is like "oh sorry, it was an oversight since my assistant opened your package. I do remember that email, but no big deal" We're like HELLO? IS a big deal?? He claims that a "simple LOE" would fix any potential issues that may arise with this. I'm completely beyond irritated.

So now all I can do today in additon to working 10 hours and taking care of 3 kids is stalk my bank account and pray like heck my rent doesn't clear until tomorrow.

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

Re: SO Upset with my mortgage broker. Cross your fingers for us!

Fingers crossed!
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh no! I'm sorry.  Fingers Crossed!

Message 3 of 9
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you will be fine Smiley Happy NSF's can be adequately explained with a good LOE -- but I feel your pain...

On a personal note, I made a decision years ago, after bouncing several checks, to never, ever write a check that won't clear, no matter what ANYONE says about not cashing it or holding it for a certain time... if the money isn't there, I am not writing a check..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 9
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

Yeah. Lesson leanred. I could have easily transferred the money. So far nothing has cleared yet today. We fully expected to have to fund the appraisal and inspection, our broker made it a point to let us know he would hold the check....just one more thing to stress out about...

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 5 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@rckstrscott wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you will be fine Smiley Happy NSF's can be adequately explained with a good LOE -- but I feel your pain...

On a personal note, I made a decision years ago, after bouncing several checks, to never, ever write a check that won't clear, no matter what ANYONE says about not cashing it or holding it for a certain time... if the money isn't there, I am not writing a check..

-scott

I made that same decision years ago - if it's not in the account, I don't write a check.  I never believe it when someone says they will hold a check - it just isn't true. You eliminate all stress for money when you have the funds in your account before you issue any check, ACH transfer, debit charge etc. 

As to the mortgage broker, he should have never stated he would hold the check. They always cash the appraisal check and give you a credit for it on the HUD1.  If you don't close, then the appraisal is paid for at your expenses. That's SOP in the industry.

Message 6 of 9
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

-scott

+10000000000000000 Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

I feel you. Although my appraisal has been done,  my appraisal money has been just sitting in my checking for weeks.  I transferred it because you never know when someone on the other end might speed up or drop the ball.Smiley Surprised

@Familywantsahouse wrote:

Yeah. Lesson leanred. I could have easily transferred the money. So far nothing has cleared yet today. We fully expected to have to fund the appraisal and inspection, our broker made it a point to let us know he would hold the check....just one more thing to stress out about...

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 9
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

I dont know who you bank with but  If you do not have a habit of this, which you said you dont...if the problem hits, try calling your bank.  Sometimes they will reverse the charges ect.  Be prepared to pony up asap on the overdraft ect.  If they reverse it,  it wont show up on your bank statement. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.