Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales tactic?

tag
nate79416
Regular Contributor

Sales tactic?

Went to JUST LOOK at one of the homes we like that a builder is building, the agent told us there would be a 5k increase June 1, is this something they will say to get us to pull the trigger sooner? Also how long does it usually take to get a pre approval, we are going through our CU, I just paid my credit card down below 10%, my statements are cut the 1st of each month, I really need that to update before I buy my scores again, but now this 1st of the month increase has put me in a panic, he did say that we would still have 2 weeks after the 1st to lock in the price of the home. Hmmmm what ya think?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Sales tactic?

I think that if you are ready in 6 months that most (not all) builders would take a sale/deal with a $10k discount off asking or toss in $10k worth of options to make a sale. Unless you are in a "hot market" I'd never feel pressured into a quick sale - besides prices are better in Fall/Winter when sales are slow.

Message 2 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I am a sales counselor for a national home builder. In my assigned community, we have had 4 price increases in 90 days and now we are raising prices with every three sales. The buyers can think that we are dishing out bs to get them to buy ... but they will pay higher prices for sure. We preapprove our buyers in 15 to 20 miinutes.

Message 3 of 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@ezdriver wrote:

I am a sales counselor for a national home builder. In my assigned community, we have had 4 price increases in 90 days and now we are raising prices with every three sales. The buyers can think that we are dishing out bs to get them to buy ... but they will pay higher prices for sure. We preapprove our buyers in 15 to 20 miinutes.

Perhaps in a hot market, but I for one would pass on a builder that increases prices after every 3 sales. Lots of choices out there in most markets, especially outside the "national builders" which I'd avoid anyway since I have no desire to live in a HOA controled community. Different strokes....

Message 4 of 5
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

I heard the same pitch every time we visited the neighborhood we ended up building in and they held firm on every increase. It didn't cause us to buy any quicker, in fact it took us 3 years to finally buy. The market here supports the increases so it really depends on your market. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.