Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score jump for paying off car loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score jump for paying off car loan?

We just traded in my car and I was wondering if my score will jump when the payoff is posted?  We put the new car in my fiance's name, so it won't show up on my credit...

My loan was with HSBC Auto Finance and the balance was $25k...

Thanks!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
VLGaffEsq
Regular Contributor

Re: Score jump for paying off car loan?

Unfortunately, you will NOT see a score jump in paying off your auto loan (as I sadly learned AFTER I paid off my car loan thinking the same thing would happen).  The 'FICO scorers' like to see a variety of loans on your credit report, including "installment loans" like your auto loan.  Paying off an an installment loan early (even though you are technically reducing your debt) is not seen as a positive because you have paid off an installment loan from your file which showed regular monthly payments, which the 'FICO scorers' like to see.  This is totally contrary to paying down credit card debt, or "revolving debt," which will lower your outstanding debt ratio, thereby raising your FICO scores.  I know it sounds ass backwards, but that is simply the way it is in the 'FICO scorers' world.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.