Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seasoned money

tag
Erinkkelly
Valued Member

Re: Seasoned money

Yes, for FHA I will need to see a donors bank statement. But I was always trained not to underwrite the donor just to verify they have the money to give. For a conventional loan I just need to see proof the gift was transferred with a canceled check and a gift letter...nothing more. This is the norm. Now with that being said banks can tack on any extra rules what they require beyond what Fannie or Freddie would require. It's not always fair but most banks won't ask for more.
Message 11 of 14
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

What does "trained not to underwrite the donor just to verify they have the money to give"? mean? As in just look to see that the money was in their account (by looking at the bank statement) but not actually looking when the money was deposited? What if it's on the same statement, like $60,000 deposited on 04/16/13 and then check written for $60,000 on 04/25/13? I would assume it would be best to now have it be on the same statement, so it need to be at least seasoned one bank statement worth...is that correct?

Also, I sent you a private message. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 14
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

I'm doing a gift for some of my downpayment and they require bank statement from my donor and me showing I recieved the money. The UW's are adament about this paper trail. They are adament this money is seasoned and not a cash deposit.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 14
Erinkkelly
Valued Member

FHA requires a bank statement but not conventional. However some banks will ask for it...it's up to them if they will require extra docs. I personally never ask for a donors bank statement on a conventional loan. 95% of cases all I need is a canceled check from the donor.
Some underwriters will dig more but I am not required to ask a donor about why they have large deposits...I'm underwriting the borrower not the donor.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.