cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure methods for sending docs back and forth?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secure methods for sending docs back and forth?

Hello,

Our lender is in another city.  Since our documentation for our loan application contains a number of pieces of private information that could be ripe for identity theft, what methods are normally used for transferring documents?

Fed-Ex? Fax? E-mail? 

What are the "best practices" for sending information?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Secure methods for sending docs back and forth?

I was stressing over the same thing. Fed Ex is extremely safe, imo. You can do email and password protect all your .pdf files. Just don't send them an email with the password, LOL, prearrange one over the phone. Fax is iffy because some people use fax to email programs that automatically turn their faxes to email and sends them to their computer. I just learned that recently thanks to my on-the-ball LO. I would have never thought of it.
Message 2 of 8
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Our lender is in another city.  Since our documentation for our loan application contains a number of pieces of private information that could be ripe for identity theft, what methods are normally used for transferring documents?

Fed-Ex? Fax? E-mail? 

What are the "best practices" for sending information?

Thanks!

FedEx is your best option or USPS Express mail with restricted delivery. If they offer secure fax systems, like US Bank does, then you would be better off using that system. Its quicker and comparatively safer but if they want originals or don't have that, stick with FedEx or USPS Express. Avoid UPS as they are not that good in this department. Good luck.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 3 of 8
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was stressing over the same thing. Fed Ex is extremely safe, imo. You can do email and password protect all your .pdf files. Just don't send them an email with the password, LOL, prearrange one over the phone. Fax is iffy because some people use fax to email programs that automatically turn their faxes to email and sends them to their computer. I just learned that recently thanks to my on-the-ball LO. I would have never thought of it.

If you are going to use fax, make sure its a secure fax system. The simple act of receiving it on the server and delivering to email is not the security breech, its how its done. For US Bank for example, they handle all that on their internal intranet system which is completely secured and when they send a fax out, it is processed the same way. However, if you use services like eFax, J2, myFax then yes you are open to being intercepted as the fax is only as secure as the connection.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our lender has sent us some password protected PDF files via email and that's worked out well for us. It wouldn't help much if it's stuff that needs to be signed though unless electronic signatures are accepted.
Message 5 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

snail mail... which includes fedex/brown

or password protected pdf.

your realtor should be able to scan your signed docs and get them emailed or you. Texas is a HUGE state and I do loans in other states too.... this is what I do on almost EVERY deal.

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 8
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Our lender has sent us some password protected PDF files via email and that's worked out well for us. It wouldn't help much if it's stuff that needs to be signed though unless electronic signatures are accepted.

Password protected PDFs are great in most cases. However, let me tell you as someone who developed for 15 years and has done extensive security analysis, PDF security is easily defeated and not all third party software respect the security protocols. That's why they warn you when you password protect that its not a guarantee. Just a little heads up that's all.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Likewise i have a relative that's worked for both UPS and FedEx and could tell you some security stories... lol

Nothing's 100% but it's good option compared to others anyway Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.