Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing a mortgage on disability....

tag
SLM
New Visitor
New Visitor

Securing a mortgage on disability....

I am interested in finding out how lenders honestly view persons who receive social security disability and desire a mortgage. I've been disabled fro 10 years. My credit is at 700. I've acquired 20% down payment (for a home up to 200K) and I am ready to purchase. Feedback please!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Securing a mortgage on disability....

@SLM wrote:

I am interested in finding out how lenders honestly view persons who receive social security disability and desire a mortgage. I've been disabled fro 10 years. My credit is at 700. I've acquired 20% down payment (for a home up to 200K) and I am ready to purchase. Feedback please!!!!!!!!!!

Hello and welcome.

Lenders don't care whether or not you are disabled. I'm a disabled veteran and I've gotten original morgages and refi's and the subject never came up. Actually I believe by law they are not allowed to ask such questions but I might be wrong about that.

If you meet the same requirements as anyone else I don't foresee any problems at all.

Good luck to you on that mortgage!!!

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

IMO, I believe lenders see disability income as a more stable income, then if you were a regular employee working.Smiley Wink

I would suggest when you apply for a mortgage, go ahead an ask how they view disability income.....to put your mind to ease.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you've got a lot a lot of fiscal discipline - respectable FICO score and a nice chunk saved for a down payment.  As long as your disability income can support a mortgage loan of ~$160,000, then I don't see any reason why you couldn't be qualified for a mortgage.  This is assuming, of course, that there are no major issues on your credit report (e.g. recent late payments, judgments, etc.).

I suggest that you sit down with a loan officer with all your financial information and see what she/he says.  Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.