Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing how much you can get approved for

tag
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

Seeing how much you can get approved for

Hello, a couple of questions please from a first time homebuyer.

1. Can I apply online to see how much money I can get aproved for to buy a new home?  I may go with an FHA loan.  If so, which site do you recommend that I go to?  I rather go online so my dad will not ask where I am going if I were to go to a lender in real life.

2.  Can I keep checking to see if my loan amount is increased every few months as my credit score gets better?  I assume it only counts as an inquiry on your credit report but other than that I can keep checking without it causing any harm?  Because knowing my luck in life, it would be about $10,000 short of the house of my dreams. 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Seeing how much you can get approved for

You can apply online although it's not typically recommended. I'd also be cautious about applying every few months too. I don't know what the ramifications are short of inquires dropping points but it might not look good when you do finally decide to buy.

If you're going FHA you won't get approved for more if your credit score goes up. FHA is based on a single rate (typically 620) and whether you have a 620 or 800 it will be the same. The thing that usually increases your approval amount is increasing income or lowering debt.

Message 2 of 3
FicoPower
Regular Contributor

Re: Seeing how much you can get approved for

Ok thanks.  I plan to get second job after I get a house, that way I will have time to paint and fix up things without having to worry about being a corporate slave for my remaining good years.  Man I would be so happy if my income was always steady or just made so much that I wouldn't have to worry about bills.  I do not want to be rich, just enough to live in a nice quiet neighborhood with a reliable car and I am good to go.
Message Edited by FicoPower on 06-27-2009 05:09 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.